Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size enamel dutch oven

I have a 9 QT lodge CI dutch oven for most of my egg cooks and also a 2 1/2 qt cast all one for the egg also.  For the oven and stove I only have SS pots with 6/12/16 qt capacity.  I do not want to use the ss on the egg but also want an enamel dutch oven for general use on egg/stove/oven but do not know which size I would use the most.  Would mostly cook gumbos/soups/stews/beans with sausage and rice/ other things like this in the enamel one. 
Please recommend what you would use most as to size and shape in enamel.  there are only 2 of us most of the time but we like to freeze extra and sometimes have 6-8 people. Also is there much diffeence in the lodge vs Le Crueset or Staub.

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    We have a 3.5 qt round enameled Le Crueset and the 4.5 qt oval one.

They're strickly used on the stove or oven. Stick with cast iron for the egg. Otherwise  it's a pain to keep it looking nice
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I have a 5.5 qt staub I use in the oven, stovetop and on the egg all the time.  I think it’s a great versatile size.  It gets used for everything, from baking bread to whole chicken, chili and stews.   I have learned from this site, that wrapping it in foil when on the egg helps with cleanup like this ..

But I don’t get too worried about it - a little patina isn’t a bad thing.

All the brands you mentioned are fine.  I think you would be happy with any of them.  I purchased this staub, because there was a great sale locally when I was looking.  Some folks like the white interior of the Le Creuset better, but I don’t have a preference. 

I am also in the market for two more.  One smaller, and one a little larger.  I’ll probobly purchase round for both, but potentially an oval for the larger to accommodate whole chicken.

Staub has a black enameled Dutch oven I have been eying.  The black should camouflage some of the staining from the egg.

Good luck and let us know where you land. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

If i had to pick one size enamel do, it would be my 7.8 lodge.  Probably my favorite piece of cast iron.
    Phoenix 
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    I have a Le Crueset and trust me, its worth the price. I've had imports and the enamel just isn't as durable nor does it clean as easily. I don"t know how well the lodge ones hold up. I know they are made in China. 
    Orlando, FL 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2019
    I've got a 7qt Le Creuset and a 4, 5 & 9qt Staub.   I reach for the Le Creuset the most b/c I find it 7qt to be the most versatile size - not too big, not too small. 

Functionally and aesthetically I like the Staub better. The matt black just looks stunning... like  raw cast iron without the headache. The black interior enamel is also more durable and doesn't show stains.  If my 20 year old 7qt Le Creuset ever takes a spill and cracks I'll be replacing it with the same capacity Staub. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave