Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone growing peppers?

I have always tried to grow peppers outside but never have much luck outside of jalapenos because of the shorter growing season in northern wi. 

This year I'm going to start some inside to try to get a jump on things. 

So far I'm ordered the following from pepper Joe's .

Habanero
Firecracker chili
Bleeding Borg 9
Sepia serpent
Big Jim

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for starting peppers indoors, or any other tips for growing better peppers?

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Go for it.  Are you going to do some fermenting then with the produce?

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    tybenj said:
    I have always tried to grow peppers outside but never have much luck outside of jalapenos because of the shorter growing season in northern wi. 

Habanero
    Firecracker chili
    Bleeding Borg 9
    Sepia serpent
    Big Jim

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for starting peppers indoors, or any other tips for growing better peppers?

Are you planting seeds or plants? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I have done it with grow light, timer, small trays, transplanted to bigger, then bigger, bags of dirt, fertilizer, watered every day, took them in and outside to acclimate with the sun and weather, on and on. 
     After all that time and money I realized it is cheaper and easier to go to the local nursery and pick up plants that were further along.  With the exception of uncommon plants like ghost peppers etc.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    I have done it with grow light, timer, small trays, transplanted to bigger, then bigger, bags of dirt, fertilizer, watered every day, took them in and outside to acclimate with the sun and weather, on and on. 
     After all that time and money I realized it is cheaper and easier to go to the local nursery and pick up plants that were further along.  With the exception of uncommon plants like ghost peppers etc.
    I'm doing it more for fun and to grow some weird peppers, it's also nice seeing something growing in February haha 
  • Three different types of jalapeños and Red Marconi which is a sweet pepper. I did the ultrahots last year and had a plentiful crop that was totally wasted.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Good luck! I’ve done mine outside from plants only. Love peppers! Sounds like you gonna need some good soft TP in the future   😂 
  • I’ve germinated seeds and grown them on inside (lounge windowsill) and then moved them out when the weather was better which worked fine. Didn’t consider using grow lights etc but even still it’s easier to just buy plants (or probably just the fruit ) but less fun plus we were growing a Venezuelan variety that would be hard to track down in the UK.
    London, UK

New LBGE Owner
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    If you plan to plant them in the ground, February is a little early. What's your last frost date? I usually start them 8 weeks before. Get trays, seed starting mix, potting soil, heating pads, and shop lights. Start with heat, until they've sprouted, then turn it off. 12 hours a day of light should be good. Harden off and plant out. Oh, and start more than you want - some won't make it. Lots of materials, but a dedicated setup makes it easier. Window light will just give you leggy plants.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i have a hard time growing jalapenos here in maine, even with starting from good plant stock. my all day sunny area sits on a ground spring which doesnt help those peppers.  on the other hand i get lots of thai peppers and cayenne during the season and got a descent amount of ghost last year, the ghost peppers came in just before the frost.  my raised beds are metal and dark black, it gets the soil temps warmer earlier in the year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2019
    How hot does it consistently get during the summer months where you live? If it's too cool your pepper plants will just sit there and not produce much. I'm in the armpit heat of the South and mine don't really get going until late July and into August... that is, when it's miserably hot. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    SonVolt said:
    How hot does it consistently get during the summer months where you live? If it's too cool your pepper plants will just sit there and not produce much. I'm in the armpit heat of the South and mine don't really get going until late July and into August... that is, when it's miserably hot. 
    soil temp seems to help, tomatoes go in at 55 degrees soil temp. peppers a few weeks later at 60 plus soil temp. my raised beds are thin walled ss with a flat black coating and small, 42 inch diameter. also compost i use is black. im looking at a week before memorial day on the tomatoes but the peppers are a couple weeks later.  12 hours sun most of the summer. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    We have normally a bumper crop of different varieties of peppers due to our climate. Check with a local business or college that has knowledge on what grows well where you live. Check your seed package for optimal growing temps. Good luck!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • What I have learned with peppers is don't be scared to trim them waaaay back.  My peppers use to grow so tall they would blow over. You can literally cut all the limbs off and they will grow back. Keep cutting the top off so you grow a nice pepper bush instead of a tall stalk.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I live in Michigan. Our growing season for hot weather plants is short as well. To compensate, I grow all of my herbs, tomatoes and peppers in these raised beds because they warm earlier and stay warmer than the ground. I buy rare or unusual seeds from Seed Savers and plants from a local green house my friend owns. Plants are easier, seeds are more rewarding. I echo everyone else on seed germination and twelve hours of grow light. I grow my plants tall in the house, trim off all but the top and plant them deep, so that only three inches or so are above ground, (this makes an incredible root structure for fruit production) when the soil gets into the fifties and all chance of frost has passed (late May). They grow slow at first, but this makes hardy plants that produce well. When they get bushy and flower I prune new limb growth. I don't get a first picking until August, but then fairly heavy production until the end of September.

I hope this helps! Check out the lacto fermentation thread on making your own hot sauce from your peppers. Really cool. Be careful, however, as Carolina Reapers, Buhudahs, Ghosts and Scorpions should not be used solely in you applications. My sons and I made a few batches that could only be used as bear mace.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@dharley that's an informative post - and I like your bed set up

Phoenix 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Talk to Mike @LawnRanger and Gary @villageidiot
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tybenj
    edited February 2019
    This is my grow table I plan on using there are two aquarium grow bulbs and a cheapo Amazon led under the shop light fixture. The whole thing is also under a South facing window . The light is also adjustable in 6" increments .
  • tybenj said:
    This is my grow table I plan on using there are two aquarium grow bulbs and a cheapo Amazon led under the shop light fixture. The whole thing is also under a South facing window . The light is also adjustable in 6" increments .
    Nice rig!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Mine is similar but I just use one tray. They get transplanted to plastic cups after all are up and have two pairs of leaves.
  • tybenj
    Mine is similar but I just use one tray. They get transplanted to plastic cups after all are up and have two pairs of leaves.
    Seed leaves and another pair, or 3 pair total? 
  • Two pairs of real leaves.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I'm in NC where the growing season is a bit longer.  I have 3rd generation tabasco plants that I try and over winter.   The two plants last summer put out enough to make my own Tabasco sauce. I am trying to graft a golden cayenne to a havasu plant...that is not going as well as planned. 
    Of course in the middle of all this is Cindy's pineapple plant (which we have harvested 2 fruits) so far.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    tybenj said:

Habanero
    Firecracker chili
    Bleeding Borg 9
    Sepia serpent
    Big Jim

Once they are started, I put coffee grounds, banana peels, egg shells and what not to the soil.  It's just things I would normally throw in the trash. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.