Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The DoJoe

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited February 2019 in Off Topic
what am I missing?   I do not see the need for a $200 pizza attachment. 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• IMHO, I don't see practicality and I'm kind of a gadget freak   :o
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ....cheaper than a $600 Roccbox
    @nolaegghead I guess maybe I do t cook enough pizzas to think it’s worth it.  I will just carry on with my basic setup.....

• nolaegghead
    Price seems a bit inflated for what it is, IMO.

• I'm with NOLA on this one. It's a more appealing option than a roccbox for me.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    You don't have to open the lid, which can flash back on you.  Don't get the temp dip from opening the lid.  Can rotate your pie.  Can watch it cook.
    The main advantage does seem to be that since you don't have to open the lid you can more easily maintain a 700 degree temp.
    Earlier iterations of it also had a stone that would mount a few inches above the pizza stone. The thought was that it would reflect more heat down onto the pizza . Don't remember tho if they dropped that due to that top stone not really adding much or just cut it to maintain a price point.
    These things were supposed to have been available before last Christmas; guess they ran into some snags. The new Big Joe III should also be hitting the streets "any day now" too.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2019
    I saw it in action down at the ATL Grill Store grand opening......it was pretty freakin cool actually.  My buddy Kurt from STL had a four inch thick cowboy ribeye roasting on it.

I like it for pizzas though.....no more losing all the heat out of the dome, no burping or flashback, and you can rotate and watch it too.

That new "hyperbolic" insert for the Gen III's looks interesting as well.  I saw it in their new Pro Joe.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    There's a lot more venting area in the front of it than even a wide-open top, I would think that would make the front edge of a pie cook differently than the rest of it.

Other than that, JUST TAKE MY MONEY!  :lol:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    Botch said:
    There's a lot more venting area in the front of it than even a wide-open top, I would think that would make the front edge of a pie cook differently than the rest of it.

Other than that, JUST TAKE MY MONEY!  :lol:
    hot air goes up
    ...and it all has to squirt past that pizza stone, I'm pretty sure there will be additional airflow out the "front door" if given a chance.   ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ryantt
    edited February 2019
    I saw it in action down at the ATL Grill Store grand opening......it was pretty freakin cool actually.  My buddy Kurt from STL had a four inch thick cowboy ribeye roasting on it.

I like it for pizzas though.....no more losing all the heat out of the dome, no burping or flashback, and you can rotate and watch it too.

That new "hyperbolic" insert for the Gen III's looks interesting as well.  I saw it in their new Pro Joe.
    I’m actually excited about the new hyperbolic insert. Heard a pod cast from the guy who designed it, of it works as advertised it’s a game changer. 

@stlcharcoal sent you an email last week, if you have time can you get back to me on it 

• This would probably get more use than @Possumtrot s Joetisserie that’s hiding somewhere in my garage. Price is pretty steep but those nights I crank 5-6 pies off (which is pretty regular in the spring and fall weekends) this could be a game changer. 

Besides, part of this hobby is embracing the money pit!  ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• 30 seconds later.... 

“Siri look up instructions to make a backyard brick fire oven” :fearful:

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ryantt
    @Killit_and_Grillit I’m just hanog a hard time seeing the value, with that said, I’m sure Norah will want one, which means I’ll be spending 200.  

She spoted a new accessory the otherday on Smokewares page and wants her mom to order it.  

Funny how well she does spending our money. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    30 seconds later.... 

“Siri look up instructions to make a backyard brick fire oven” :fearful:

pizza is another one of those very slippery slopes

Phoenix 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     The nice thing about money is that tomorrow we can make more! I love cooking gadgets. This forum has me spending on so many things I never imagined I needed. Good times.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • @blasting @ryantt the company we rent one of our kitchens from has a sweet wood fire oven setup and as much as I’ve enjoyed cooking pizzas on the egg  I feel like it’s going to lead down an absurdly expensive path to a real wood fired oven. 

Problem is I have the materials but as soon as I build it my wife will want to move. 

Then (explitive deleted) @SciAggie posts and there I am again looking up plans 

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    Botch said:
    ...and it all has to squirt past that pizza stone, I'm pretty sure there will be additional airflow out the "front door" if given a chance.   ;)
    ...hmmmm...wonder how they avoid that happening in a chiminea....
    First (and last) pizza I cooked in a chiminea was totally inedible.  I never got good smoke with that damn piñon wood.
  • I will buy one cause I know I will. Besides, my joetisserie needs a little company in my shed. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    is this there version of the pizza porta?

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Kent8621 said:
    is this there version of the pizza porta?
    IMO it's a Pizza Porta knockoff but lacks the front door and the two daisy-wheel type vents near the front.
    canuckland
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited February 2019

Does anyone else feel like these accessories KJ keeps coming up with are just really kitschy and cheapening their brand? To me its like they are just trying to make a Kamado "The end all be all" cooker and anyone that owns one knows a Kamado just isn't. To me it does a lot of things really well but its not the best at anything. KJ doesn't get that.

If I am that obsessed with pizzas I'm not buying a $200 Pizza attachment to get marginally better pies than I could get without it. I'm going to buy a dedicated pizza oven that will do much better and cost around $500 (i.e. RoccBoxx or the like)  and If I am really really obsessed with pizzas, I'm going to throw down $2,500 for a wood fired outdoor oven. I feel like next they are going to develop an accessory for Deepfrying directly on the Lump and call it the FriJoe or something stupid.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ryantt
    @TEXASBGE2018 let’s get the FirJoe trademarked   

• nolaegghead

Does anyone else feel like these accessories KJ keeps coming up with are just really kitschy and cheapening their brand? To me its like they are just trying to make a Kamado "The end all be all" cooker and anyone that owns one knows a Kamado just isn't. To me it does a lot of things really well but its not the best at anything. KJ doesn't get that.

If I am that obsessed with pizzas I'm not buying a $200 Pizza attachment to get marginally better pies than I could get without it. I'm going to buy a dedicated pizza oven that will do much better and cost around $500 (i.e. RoccBoxx or the like)  and If I am really really obsessed with pizzas, I'm going to throw down $2,500 for a wood fired outdoor oven. I feel like next they are going to develop an accessory for Deepfrying directly on the Lump and call it the FriJoe or something stupid.

no
    ryantt said:
    @TEXASBGE2018 let’s get the FirJoe trademarked   
    Get the DilJoe trademarked while you're at it......no telling how far the brand could go.  :) 
  • nolaegghead
    ...or the Double DilJoe(tm)