Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron goods

Options
Hello
I am looking to expand my BGE usage and pick up some CI gear. 
I want to pick up a Dutch oven and skillet. I found this on Amazon and wonder if this is a good way to go?
is 5 quart large enough? Would like to do a chilli. 
Thanks
Mark
Ontario, Canada
XL- BGE
CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
KAB

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Hello
    I am looking to expand my BGE usage and pick up some CI gear. 
    I want to pick up a Dutch oven and skillet. I found this on Amazon and wonder if this is a good way to go?
    is 5 quart large enough? Would like to do a chilli. 
    Thanks
    Mark
    I have the 5qt and it fits in my MM and the large obviously. I can do some recipes in it but am close to full. A little larger would make stirring easier without spilling over 

6 or 7 would be ideal but if that’s all you have access too it works just fine 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    CANADA!!!!

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    For hog apple baked beans, recipe on this forum, the 5 is perfect. For chili I like my 6 for that. It fits on my large and makes stirring easier. The 5 is still a nice piece to have.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Komokaegger. The 5 is a great size.   If you think you'll end up with a few dutch ovens, then I'd go ahead and jump on the combo.  If you think you'll only get one, then I'd go 7 quart.  The reason is for the extra size, but also because you'll get a 12" lid.  The most common size of skillet would be the 12, and the lid is interchangeable.  When you pick up the 12 skillet, get the one without a handle so it fits your cookers better.  

Phoenix 
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    All great thoughts. I wondered about the volume and making a mess while stirring. 
    When you do chilli on a slow and low cook how often do you stir it?
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I have this and use the lid 10x more than the pot.
    Mountain View, CA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    That 5 qt is a good choice for baking bread. Probably fine for smaller batches of other stuff.
    When I make chili I use an 8 qt as it does allow enough room for easily stirring the amount we cook (and we like to have plenty for leftovers).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I purchased the 5 qt and loved it up until my daughter disappeared with it. It was fun while it lasted.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Get the Lodge 9 qt and lid for it
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston