Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Added To My Refrigeration Capacity

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
Awhile back I purchased a 48” True glass door fridge with the thought of making a curing chamber out of it. It became storage of cold goods for the catering business so my curing plans got put on hold. Well I am now able to forge ahead as I picked this up yesterday at a restaurant equipment auction:

6’ x 6’ walk-in for a very decent price. It will also allow me to get rid of the garage beer fridge that is dying a slow death. Needs a little clean-up but it runs great, maintains 35 F all day long. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Sweet ! Cam Lock Box?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    lkapigian said:
    Sweet ! Cam Lock Box?
    Yup, can be assembled/disassembled by 2 people in 15 minutes or so. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • We will be talking about this in the immediate future

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    @CTMike does not play around! Very nice!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have taken apart, put together a number of those....some very old.  They are awesome.  
    We will be talking about this in the immediate future
    Have some bodies you need to store?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    CTMike said:
    Friends help you move.
    Good friends help you move bodies.
    Best friends will store bodies in their freezer for you.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Awesome auction prize Mike.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Go big or go home!  Wowza's @CTMike !  Congrats.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CTMike
    HeavyG said:
    CTMike said:
    Friends help you move.
    Good friends help you move bodies.
    Best friends will store bodies in their freezer for you.
    CIVILIAN FRIENDS - Disown you for running around their house naked in front of a bunch of people none of you have ever met before
     MILITARY FRIENDS - Take photos and then join you
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS- Think its disgusting that you got so drunk you pissed your pants and drowned the phone in your pocket - in their bed
     MILITARY FRIENDS-Upon hearing what happened say "That's **** - that's why I don't sleep with my mobile in my pocket anymore" and help you turn their mattress over
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Get upset if you are too busy to talk to them for a week
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Are glad to see you after many years; and will happily carry on the same conversation you were having last time you met.
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Never ask for food
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Are the reason you have no food
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Call your parents Mr and Mrs
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Call your parents Mum and Dad
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and then tell you what you did was wrong
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Would be sitting next to you saying, 'Mate...we **** up but what a giggle?
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Have never seen you cry
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Cry with you
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Know a few things about you
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Could write a book with a shed full of direct quotes from you
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will leave you behind if that is what the crowd is doing
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Will kick the backsides of whole crowds that left you behind
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Would knock on your door
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Walk right in and say, 'I'm home, got any beer!
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Share a few experiences.
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Share a lifetime of experiences no civilian could ever dream of.
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will take your drink away when they think you've had enough
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Will look at you stumbling all over the place and say, "You had better drink the rest of that, don't waste it." Then they carry you home and put you safely to bed.
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will talk crap to the person who talks crap about you.
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Will knock the crap out of people who use your name in vain
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Know where you buried the body
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Helped you bury the body
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will call you 'mate' as a term of endearment
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Will call you a 'wanker ' c*#t or 'tosser' as a term of endearment
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Are for a while.
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Are for life.
     CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will ignore this
     MILITARY FRIENDS: Will forward this to their military mates

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Finally got around to putting the box together. Not much clearance between the top of the compressor unit and the bottom of the air handler, but it will do. 

Anyone have any idea what kind of paint I should use for the outside of the box?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    Rust-oleum Topside is designed for marine use.  Should hold up forever in your garage.  Any oil based enamel that says it works on metal should be fine.  

Prep is important. 
    edited January 2019
    Rust-oleum Topside is designed for marine use.  Should hold up forever in your garage.  Any oil based enamel that says it works on metal should be fine.  

Prep is important. 
    Thanks @nolaegghead. Plan is to knock all the loose stuff off, wash with TSP and then rinse and let dry. Sound good?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    CTMike said:

Prep is important. 
    Thanks @nolaegghead. Plan is to knock all the loose stuff off, wash with TSP and then rinse and let dry. Sound good?
    Yep.  should be fine.  There is some stuff, usually blue, that is basically phosphoric acid sold as alumabrite or metal prep or something that is great to prep the metal.  I have a gal around here somewhere I'll try to take a pic

@CTMike  I like the way you roll.  Some people by a garage fridge - you buy a walk in

Phoenix 
  • CTMike
    blasting said:

@CTMike  I like the way you roll.  Some people by a garage fridge - you buy a walk in

The garage fridge is dying, and I picked this up for a pretty good price at a restaurant auction. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    I know it is a garage but I wonder if covering with wood/pre-finished pannels would work.

paqman said:
    I know it is a garage but I wonder if covering with wood/pre-finished pannels would work.
    Interesting idea, but likely more expensive than paint. I’m just looking to make it look presentable. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Wired up and fired up:

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • I have seen many of those roll across the auctions “bidder bring tools no help will be provided”  hat is off to you sir! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CTMike
    I have seen many of those roll across the auctions “bidder bring tools no help will be provided”  hat is off to you sir! 
    All you need is an Allen wrench. These boxes are held together by camlocks - literally takes 15 minutes to assemble/disassemble. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    CTMike said:
    Awhile back I purchased a 48” True glass door fridge with the thought of making a curing chamber out of it. It became storage of cold goods for the catering business so my curing plans got put on hold. Well I am now able to forge ahead as I picked this up yesterday at a restaurant equipment auction:

6’ x 6’ walk-in for a very decent price. It will also allow me to get rid of the garage beer fridge that is dying a slow death. Needs a little clean-up but it runs great, maintains 35 F all day long. 
    Great for holding kegs
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow