Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Advice

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. 

• What temp do you cook your pizzas at? 
  • Do you cook the dough a little before topping it?
  • Do you get better results if put the stone higher in the dome vs. at felt level?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    • Depends on the style/type of crust
    • no
    • yes, the radiant heat from the dome will help cook the toppings

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Here is my way..

• Dough from Public supermarket
    • plate setter with the feet up
    • I use another ceramic stone on the grate
    • put the pizza on the lightly cornmeal dusted pizza stone at 400 degrees
    • let the egg climb to between 650 and 700 degrees ( i pull when the crust  edges and toppings are where I like them.)
    • never had a problem
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814

Temperature depends on style of pizza and dough recipe. 

Normally no precook is needed.

The proper height will depend on the dough recipe, cooking temp, dough thickness, and amount of toppings. Many find the sweet spot to have the stone 2-3" above the felt line - but remember you will need to dial it in for yourself. We all make our pizzas a little different so take all the advice as a starting point and make adjustments for your personal style.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited January 2019
    Egg setup:

CGS Spider and Stone
    Cooking grate and stone 3-4" above gasket line
    Temp 550* pre-heated for 1 hour

I had really good luck out of this dough if you want something quick.  
    http://wewalka.us/product/bistro-pizza

If you want to make dough, we can help there too.

What style of pizza?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,715
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Thanks for the input.  I'll do my next one around 550° and play with stone height and temp as I cook more of them.

ColtsFan said:
    What style of pizza?

I've used dough recipes from Peter Reinhart's American Pie book a long time.  Favorites are his New York style and Pizza Americana doughs.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Pie-Search-Perfect-Pizza/dp/1580084222

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    • What temp do you cook your pizzas at? 
    I'm at 550-600.  Let it soak at that temp for a while.  Then the stone and all the ceramics are reflecting a lot of heat back at the pizza after you open it.  Even so, the first pizza is usually a throw-away.  Don't know why... but the next ones are always spot on.
    • Do you cook the dough a little before topping it?
    No.  I used to when I cooked pizza in the oven.  On the egg as long as everything has soaked at temp, I'll get crisp crust.
    • Do you get better results if put the stone higher in the dome vs. at felt level?
    I have the CGS AR with a stone on the bottom and my round grill grate on top.  Then I put the pizza stone on top of that so it's sitting a few inches above the felt.  I also use the biggest pizza stone I can (I like a big pie) so I am not able to put it much higher in the dome.  But I probably would if I could. This works for large pies and also half size pies which I make with the kids.

LBGE/Maryland