Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not real happy yet

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is anybody else unhappy with the Egg? I just purchased the Large egg. By the time I bought several needed accessories the price really got high. It seams the accessories for the egg cost twice the price of something off the shelf that could do the same job. I used the egg the first day I got it and it appeared to use a lot more charcoal than was advertised. I was cooking at 275 degreese. You would think for the price we pay for the egg you would get the basic's needed for cooking. I havent had time to use the egg enough to say if it was a good investment or not. I hope cooking on the egg changes my mind.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Young Gun,[p] You won't find anyone here unhappy with their egg. In fact most of us own more then one.[p] As for the Eggcessories you are not required to buy any of them to cook on the egg. If you read a previous message posted here it said to throw away the manual and read the Naked Whiz's site.[p] All else fails ask us..[p][p]

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Young Gun,
    Hang in there. It will get better. The only 'accessory' I would suggest is the platesetter. You can make do without all the other stuff, or make it yourself, or find cheaper.[p]I would be curious to hear more about your cook. For example; what were you cooking, how long, direct/indirect, how did you start the fire, how long was the temp reached before putting meat on the grill.[p]More input and we may be able to figure out what might have gone wrong.[p]Don't give up on here yet and ask questions. You will find a very helpful group here.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Young Gun,
    It gets better.Throw away the manual and look up the Naked Whiz's site.It's the end all of BGE cooking. As far as the price goes, its simple .When the value exceeds the price, everyone gets a good deal. You just need to find the value.Keep looking here. You may want to specifically describe what you are having trouble with. The forum here can help you.

• ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    Young Gun,
    Give us some more detail on what you were cooking, how long, what kind of charcoal, etc...

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Young Gun, what city are you near, i'm sure any egger will be more than happy to spend the afternoon doing a show and tell on your egg.

• randomegger
    Options
    Young Gun,[p]You know, I think I went about two years before buying an accessory. I wonder if you got shorted by whoever you bought the egg from to begin with.[p]I've been through my share of grills and smokers over the years. The Egg is hands down the best thing I've ever bought. Heck, my wife even agrees with that![p]RE
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Young Gun,
    Realize you have run into a bunch of Egg fanatics here and EVERYONE of them is so nuts about the Egg they will go to extremes to help you. There is nothing more salivating to this group than a new convert.[p]I used a Weber for 30 years before I got the Egg. It took a little while to get the hang of things but I tossed the Weber 3 years ago and have never looked back.[p]Just hang in there. The "fantastic times" are just around the corner, so to speak.

• Young Gun,
    LET US HELP! I have owned many smokers and grills, the egg did have a steeper learning curve than any other simply because there was so much more I could do on it (BBQ, searing, smoking, cooking, baking....)! It will not take long at all to turn out amazing BBQ and smoked foods. Just hang in there - YES it is worth it. [p]It really will use far less charcoal than a regular smoker. I have actually ordered my second egg simply so I can cook two different types of cooks at the same time.

• Young Gun,
    What accessories are you refering to? The metal top and sprind hinge should have came free with the egg.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Young Gun,
    there are a lot of recomended accessories, but not many that are absolutly needed. ive cooked for several years with just firebricks and an extra grill from my old weber kettle, after about six years of doing this i still dont have a platesetter nor do i want one. pizza stones come in handy when the time comes that you want to do pizza or bread, but for normal bbq they are not needed either. the amount of fuel it uses for what we do is off, but before the egg, i didnt cook much bbq, maybe once a week back then. that changes because the food just keeps on getting better and better. if you keep at it, you will be happy, the learning curve is short with these

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Young Gun,[p]Every dealer is different in what they provide. Some do not include a metal top or even the thermometer. It seems though that most dealers do.[p]I would think BGE headquarters could help eliminate this by including all the needed items with each Egg order, i.e. at least a metal top, thermometer and some sort of grid lifter.[p]That being said I love my Egg and consider it one of the very best purchases I have ever made.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• Young Gun,
    Believe me ceramics will grow on you. At first its hard to
    really see the difference between using a kettle grill and your
    new ceramic grill/smoker. The first place I noticed a great
    difference was with simple direct cooking like steaks or
    whole chicken--the juiciness and the taste; plus the fact
    that its pretty hard to ruin the food.
    Eventually things like 24-30 hour cooks with so little fuel
    and with such tasty results amazes you.
    The more advanced you get the more you will appreciate the
    xtras you got. But I agree, it had been better to wait until
    you had seen for yourself that you cant do without the xtras!
    My last comment: the more you doubt and question, in the end;
    the more you will come to love ceramic cooking. You WILL prove
    yourself wrong :-)
    best regards
    thorsten

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Young Gun,
    275 seems to be an odd temperature to cook.
    What were you cooking, how long and what were expecting the results to be?[p]As far as charcoal usage, if you were using lump and not briquettes when you close up the egg, the fire should go out and leave you a pile of charcoal to be used the next time.[p]The last point is that the BGE is a tool and requires some measure of learning. Remember the first time you picked up a hammer to drive a nail? You probably hit your thumb and bent a few nails. However, with patience and practice you learned to hit the nail on the head most of the time. Furthermore, even experienced hammer swingers hit their thumbs every now and then. Every so often people post on how they ruined this or over cooked that or the dog would not even eat it, but for the most part you will learn to cook some of the best food you will ever eat.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Morro Bay Rich,
    I agree almost completely. But there is one single thing I
    cant get a ceramic to do which a large weber could. The
    danish
    pork roast (on top of the baby ribs). In denmark we leave the
    skin on and make 1/4 inch slices in the skin from one side
    across to the other. The roast is baked until done, and the
    skin must turn crisp almost like chips, preferably just from
    the heat inside the cooker alone, preferably not eg. by
    turning the skin side down over the coals. You can do that
    but the result is better if the skin slices turn crisp just by
    cooking. My theory is: the intensely dry heat in a large steel
    kettle is an ideal environment for this. In ceramics the
    skin slices are just too blubbery. Although the meat itself
    is unquestionably more tender :-)
    best regards
    thorsten

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    thorsten denmark,
    i wonder if this would work for you, ive heard it done to crisp skin on slow cooked chicken parts. cook until almost done, and take it out like you would a trex steak, now put a pizza stone on a highly raised grill and get it real hot. then place your roast directly under the stone so that the radiant heat from the stone hits it hard. when you put it back in, shut everything down as you want the fire temps below to drop. might be worth a try. if you own two eggs, heat the stone up in the other egg and place it on a rack over the pork might be easier

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    What an excellent idea, will definately try that very soon--
    then I will *ping you to let you know how it went. Can't see
    it go wrong though!
    best regards
    thorsten

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Young Gun,
    There is this myth that seems to get propagated by dealers that a single bag of charcoal will last 4-6 months. Nope, not if you use your Egg very often. And of course, as has been mentioned, you should shut down your vent and put the ceramic cap on when you are done to snuff the fire.[p]As for the basics needed for cooking, what did you get? My Egg came with the basics I needed for cooking: thermometer, grid, metal top and ceramic top. I took the Egg home and cooked. The only accessory I started out with was a grid lifter. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Jethro,[p]I agree with you there. My dealer sold me mine with the large egg, nest, grid lifter, ash tool, metal top, ceramic top, and thermometer. Granted, I'm sure I could have got the egg separately than most of those, but even when I asked the dealer what I would get if I just purchased the egg, the thermo, two tops and ash tool were still included...
  • eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    Jethro,
    as a dealer when we buy eggs through our distributor they come with the spring band, two tops, temp gauge , s.s draft door, cookbook and dvd. however other dealers who buy through other distributors may have to buy each part "ala carte (sp?)" so to speak. just my 2 cents.

• Naked Wiz,
    Thanks for the replys to everybody. I only recieved the egg. I had to buy the thermometer $20, the metal smoke vent for the top $45 and I also bought a grill extender $30 and the ceramic plate for offset smoking $35. I know some of these are not the basics but you would think you would at least get a thermometer. I bought it at bbq's galore in Houston.

[ul][li]http://Naked [/ul]
  • eggaholic
    Options
    Young Gun,
    OUCH glad i didn't buy from them !!!!!

• eggaholic,
    I guess you can see why am am not happy yet. I did walk out with a large egg and several add on's for $750 total. That still beats several other prices that was quoted. They had a 20 percent off coupon that I got my hands on. You guys will have to forgive me for posting things all over I am new to forums. I will get better.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Young Gun,
    I can definately tell you you made a great investment. Before I lit up my egg I watched the DVD for assembly instructions. Before that I looked at "The Naked whiz" website to learn as much as I could before I ever did my first cook which was about three months ago now. Trust me you gotta look at this site. You will make the best steak money can buy at home!!!! My next best advice is to ask questions in this forum if you need extra help after first checking the link I am posting. Best of Luck![p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
    P.S. When you have an opportunity to go to an Eggtoberfest take it!!!

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/[/ul]
  • DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 54
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]BBQ Galore doesn't include the thermometer or the daisy wheel with the basic price for the egg. I wouldn't recommend them based on personal experiences I've had in dealing with them.