Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GLS has met its match .... Shrimp De Papi takes the cake

Options
a few years ago on a beach in the DR my wife and I stumbled into a dinner spot on our last day and had one of those meals you never forget. 

Somwhow despite multiple google searches we just now unearthed the restaurants recipie that was shared with a travel blogger ten years ago. While GLS holds a special spot in my heart, I’d run away with Papi and never look back forced to eat just one for the rest of my days. 

https://eatventurer.wordpress.com/tag/recipes/ 

Here it is:

– 1 pound of whole unshelled shrimp (approx 16)

- I added some garlic because we love it, and Olive oil 

– a couple of minced shallots

– 4 tablespoons of butter

– 1 tablespoon of curry powder

– splash of Pernod (approx 4 Tbsp)

– 1 cup cream

– sprinkle of chopped parsley

– salt and pepper

Wash those lucky crustaceans. Melt the butter in a wide pan. Toss in the shallots and sweat em up. Throw in the curry powder and cook until you’re in a delicious fragrant cloud ~ 1 minute. Toss in the shrimps and cook a minute or so on each side until they are pink. Splash in the Pernod and stand back. Now tilt the pan forward until the liquid is at the edge and carefully touch the juice to the flame – WHOOSH! – there will be a giant flame that leaps up and hopefully doesn’t catch your bangs on fire ala the Michael Jackson Pepsi commercial debacle. You are now Flambéing – congratulations! You have always dreamed of this moment and now it’s here. You feel so French right now. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Now sprinkle in a little salt and pepper and take off of the heat. Pose the shrimps seductively in the pan or on a platter, sprinkle some chopped parsley on top for color and serve immediately with a crusty baguette, or whatever excuse for bread that your local bakery tries to sell you that isn’t a baguette.

Devour the shrimp with your hands and sop up the sauce with the bread. People will look at you oddly because of the multitude of yummy sounds that you are making. Your fingers will smell of curry and Pernod for hours. Try not to eat them.

La Casita De Dom Alfredo Papi

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks excellent. Thank you for sharing. 

GLS= Green Lightning Shrimp. Took me a minute. 

I had to look up Pernod. Are you using the Absinthe or the other Anise? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Man that looks excellent. Thank you for sharing. 

GLS= Green Lightning Shrimp. Took me a minute. 

I had to look up Pernod. Are you using the Absinthe or the other Anise? 
    Yes absinthe ... this is the brand we used

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks amazing.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    That looks phenomenal! Love anything with curry it seems.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ... I had to look up Pernod. Are you using the Absinthe or the other Anise? 

First, THANKS for the recipe -- it looks great!

But second, no, the bottle in your picture is Pernod, NOT Pernod Absinthe.  Those are two different things.  

Pernod Absinthe has wormwood in it (Artemisia absinthium), but "regular" Pernod does not.  It's the wormwood that makes it absinthe.  

The Pernod company was one of the original famous makers of absinthe, but when absinthe was made illegal, they started making a non-absinthe version, which is what has been sold as "Pernod" ever since.  Recently absinthe became legal again, so now they make both.  The absinthe is much more expensive and has a darker flavor that's really delicious.  I don't know whether it would be delicious in the shrimp dish or not, though.  They are similar, but NOT the same.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ... I had to look up Pernod. Are you using the Absinthe or the other Anise? 

First, THANKS for the recipe -- it looks great!

But second, no, the bottle in your picture is Pernod, NOT Pernod Absinthe.  Those are two different things.  

Pernod Absinthe has wormwood in it (Artemisia absinthium), but "regular" Pernod does not.  It's the wormwood that makes it absinthe.  

The Pernod company was one of the original famous makers of absinthe, but when absinthe was made illegal, they started making a non-absinthe version, which is what has been sold as "Pernod" ever since.  Recently absinthe became legal again, so now they make both.  The absinthe is much more expensive and has a darker flavor that's really delicious.  I don't know whether it would be delicious in the shrimp dish or not, though.  They are similar, but NOT the same.
    Thanks for clearing up the confusion. Learned something today 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Very welcome!  I've always found forbidden fruit desirable, I'm afraid, so when absinthe was illegal, I was dying to know what it tasted like.  I used to love (regular) Pernod, but wondered what the "real thing" tasted like.  Similarly, because decaf coffee tastes so very different than "real" coffee, it's made me wonder what Coca Cola tasted like before they had to take the cocaine out of it <gasp>.  :)

When absinthe finally became legal, I had to try it, of course, and it's very similar to Pernod (though different absinthes are different from each other), lots of anise flavor on top, but underneath the anise is a darkness I don't know how to describe, and it's really interesting and very good.  I like it a lot.  I don't drink it often, but I like it.