Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Recommendations

I need a new gasser.  Mortal Sin to ask here I know but I’m sure some of you guys blow gas every once in a while.  I’m looking to compact to accommodate my cast iron cooks and SV sears when I don’t wamna fire an egg.   

Help me.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• My biggest recommendation would be to get one with a rip roarin’ side burner. Great for searing and such.

When I needed a gasser, I bought a Napoleon P500RSIB. 1800F side burner. I seared steaks in -13F weather this week. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Mattman3969 - I wish I could help as you deserve support from the forum.  But in a side take on your "blow gas" comment, yes I do but nothing further needs to be posted about that here  ;) (old age has some entertaining attributes...)
    You will need to acquire a gas diamond plate for those great outcomes-no pressure.
    I am sure you will get some useful inputs.  Not kidding with that statement.  Best of luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    No gas here, but my Dad has a Weber Summit series. It's decent.... You know, for a gasser 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Weber?
    O-Town, FL

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    My biggest recommendation would be to get one with a rip roarin’ side burner. Great for searing and such.

When I needed a gasser, I bought a Napoleon P500RSIB. 1800F side burner. I seared steaks in -13F weather this week. 
    I understand what your saying.  Was really hoping to find something that will get the grill hot enough to sear, be it on the grid or in CI.  I’m trying to contain my mess from searing.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You have a blackstone? Will solve the searing problem. I put a 10 psi adjustable regulator on mine to get it a little hotter.
  • Mattman3969
    No blackstone.  Was really looking for more of a contained environment.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Probably no help here, but I love my Weber Q 120. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Depending on what you’re willing to spend, I’ve been incredibly happy with my DGS. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Jeremiah said:
    When my Actual Gasser dies I will just make my Weber Q the primary gasser vs just for camping/ tailgating.  That is a great grill.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Mattman3969
    Jeremiah said:
    Is that the tabletop Weber?

analyze adapt overcome

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    I have the Weber Genesis II three burner. I like it just fine, but sorta wish I had gotten the Genesis II LX as the LX has the enclosed shelves whereas mine is open, and the dogs like to lick the grease catcher.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I have a Fire Magic that I've had for at least 20 years. Still works like a champ.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Weber Summit as mentioned above has addded searing burner. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Since you don't specify your budget I'll just say that I hear Kalamazoo makes some fabulous gas grills.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Life is short.  Buy the best.  You won't regret it.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    HeavyG said:
    Since you don't specify your budget I'll just say that I hear Kalamazoo makes some fabulous gas grills.
    Totally not or outside of the budget.  What kinda gasser you running ?   No pic expected 

analyze adapt overcome

• The Weber Q100/Q120s are great little grills. Perfect for chicken breast, burgers, brats, thin steaks and veggies. Only drawback is they dont get super hot. At least not hot enough to get a great sear.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Mattman3969
    Am I wrong hoping for a gasser that will sear in CI on the grate?

analyze adapt overcome

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited January 2019
    I had a Weber Genesis Silver with enclosed under carriage.  Was a great grill and weber was fantastic to deal with when I ran into a weird issue.  Warranty parts shipped to your door in 2 days was great (not small parts either, the entire firebox).

With that said, it did not get hot enough to sear.  If all you want is to sear, get a medium egg.  I can be up to temp in 20 minutes.  Then put on my smokeware snuffer, close the bottom vent and walk away.

P.S.  I traded my weber for 8 1.5" angus new york strips.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    No disrespect but I can do that with all 3 of my eggs.  Maybe I’m wrong but for certain cooks I think the gasser might be more efficient 

analyze adapt overcome

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Broil king or Napoleon offer great gassers for under $500. My BK Regal is well over 15 years old. Have gone thru 2 or 3 burners. Consumer Reports didn’t like it because it was too hot - exactly what i was looking for. Has a 12000BTU (some are only 9000BTU) side burner, takes moments to heat a CI pan for a post SV sear. 
    Another option is a CampChef stove. At 35000BTU the burners are great for wok and CI sears, I also have the flattop, poor man’s Blackstone. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Just get a Weber. At least you know parts will be easy to get. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    No disrespect but I can do that with all 3 of my eggs.  Maybe I’m wrong but for certain cooks I think the gasser might be more efficient 
    None taken.  If all you want is to sear, then a pan with a burner like Cajun classic is hard to beat for price.

If you want another grill, then the Napoleans seem like the things to get.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    Totally not or outside of the budget.  What kinda gasser you running ?   No pic expected 
    No gas grill per se at the moment. Did have a Weber Genesis 2000 for 20+ years but a rehab project went awry a few years ago and ended up binning it.
    Only gas cookers now are - a dedicated wok burner, Ardore and Blackstone pizza ovens, a "baby salamander" (Northfire Inferno), and the 22" Blackstone.
    I would post a pic of them all but it's cold, dark, and rainy at the moment. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mattman3969
    edited January 2019
    So thinking outside the grill box, how would a pizza oven do as a multi purpose heat source.  
    @JohnInCarolina.   

As you can see I’m way open to suggestions 

analyze adapt overcome

• I have a Weber Genesis 330 (stainless) for the convenience and it complements the BGE nicely. It's just nice to be able to throw on some dogs, brats or burgers for a quick meal during the week. It has a side burner and a sear burner and both work well. Not sure how well the newer versions of the Genesis hold up or how they differ from mine, but I don't think you can go wrong with Weber.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    I went with a Blaze gasser last year when we finished our patio. Granted- I’ve not used it much ;) but the times I have it’s been solid. 

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • HeavyG
    edited January 2019
    So thinking outside the grill box, how would a pizza oven do as a multi purpose heat source.  
    @JohnInCarolina.   

As you can see I’m way open to suggestions 

The little gas pizza ovens that are all the rage these days are for much more than pizza. Check out Gozney's site for some ideas: https://www.gozney.com/kitchen/