Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My little brisket

Options
mEGG_My_Day
mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
edited January 2019 in EggHead Forum
Y’all ever been to Trader Joe’s??.  I went to one today for the first time (and if y’all know anything about Memphis, going from my home in midtown to Germantown is a nightmare) .   So I’m looking around and find these packaged ‘briskets’.  No grading, no distinguishing point verse flat - nothing.  It looks like the the briskets have been arbitrarily cut and packaged, I find one that giggles pretty good and looks like a point so I buy it.  When I opened it up it looks like I got a bit of both.  I have no idea the quality. 

Ill post results tomorrow, good or bad 
Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    For the record. I’m guessing this becomes chilli
    Memphis, TN 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I think I would have passed as I have better options locally but let us know how it turns out. You may have stumbled onto a gem. I'll take a look next time I'm in Trader Joes which is about once a week.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I think I would have passed as I have better options locally but let us know how it turns out. You may have stumbled onto a gem. I'll take a look next time I'm in Trader Joes which is about once a week.
    But it’s precut into smaller brisket bits for you already ?
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Legume said:
    But it’s precut into smaller brisket bits for you already ?
    That may save my thumb.  =) I sliced it through the side all the way to the thumbnail and that sucker still hurts
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    I put a light coating of Dizzy Pig Red Eye on it and off we go . .. we shall see 
    Memphis, TN 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I like the red eye - haven’t bought that in a while but one of my DP faves.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    What's the worst that can happen-you have a protracted cook and then are eating brisket...sounds like a winner to me.  If the cow follows his pork cousin then expect this cook to take well longer than you have experienced in the cook temp hrs/lb you have seen with the packers.  The prior is just a guess but I find it holds for smaller pork butts. 
    Regardless, enjoy the adventure and follow-on eats. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    What's the worst that can happen-you have a protracted cook and then are eating brisket...sounds like a winner to me.  If the cow follows his pork cousin then expect this cook to take well longer than you have experienced in the cook temp hrs/lb you have seen with the packers.  The prior is just a guess but I find it holds for smaller pork butts. 
    Regardless, enjoy the adventure and follow-on eats. 
    I think you’re onto something @lousubcap.  Been on for about 1.5 hours per pound and sitting at IT of 171.  Started egg at 250, but bumped up to 275 an hour ago.  Also, I had some leftover alder mixed in the lump from a salmon cook, and I was too lazy to clean it out.  So we have an alder and pecan smoked part of a brisket.  I’ll report back with the results.
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    IT at 196 - looking good, but not probing tender yet .. 

Memphis, TN 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Interesting that it shows it was USDA inspected but no grade...not sure if that means below Select grade. Not a bad looking hunk of cow though. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    According to the instructions you have overshot that ideal IT of 170-195. LOL 170! 😂
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Interesting that it shows it was USDA inspected but no grade...not sure if that means below Select grade. Not a bad looking hunk of cow though. 
    It means that the producer did not pay extra to have it graded after the mandatory usda inspection
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Here is the verdict.  This ended kinda weird.  I had to be somewhere and it was at 202, but still not probing tender everywhere.  But I had to pull it, so I did.  Foiled it and into a cooler.  I was hoping the carryover would get it there.  I came home three hours later.  There looked like no reasonable way to slice it whole, so I separated the flat and point pieces.  This is where it gets strange.  The flat was great - moist and tender.  The point however, wasn’t very good. Not tender and still a bunch of that chewy fat, not the good melt in your mouth fat.  We ate most of the flat.  I guess I’ll braise that point and see if I can get it to an acceptable ingredient for Chili. 
    Memphis, TN 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @mEGG_My_Day Way to give it a go.  That flat looks great, nice ring as well. Since it ate well it was a success.  I am a bit surprised about the point but you know the saying...
    BTW-about how long did it take? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    @lousubcap - thanks - it took about 7 hours. I’m surprised about the point as well.  But this was such a strange butchering job, I may have the point and flat mixed up. Oh well - the edible parts were tasty. 
    Memphis, TN