Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Know When A Pork Belly Is Sufficiently Cured?

Options
I have a 4.5 pound pork belly that I've had in the cure for 6 days now. I've been turning it every day and it has lost a lot of water. I plan to let it cure for  a few more days unless further enlightened.
Tampa Bay, Florida

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I have a 4.5 pound pork belly that I've had in the cure for 6 days now. I've been turning it every day and it has lost a lot of water. I plan to let it cure for  a few more days unless further enlightened.
    Salt or curing solution?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It occurs in 7-9 days if using a common brine. It should feel stiff and lose any flexibility. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Salt or curing solution?
    Kosher salt and Prague Powder.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Salt or curing solution?
    You’re done now I think. I’d rinse off and slice off a small piece to fry up to check your seasoning.... if two salty into a ice water bath with some potatoes to pull out some sodium. 

Dry, then smoke, chill slice fry and enjoy 
  • EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Salt or curing solution?
    You’re done now I think. I’d rinse off and slice off a small piece to fry up to check your seasoning.... if two salty into a ice water bath with some potatoes to pull out some sodium. 

Dry, then smoke, chill slice fry and enjoy 
    Thanks All!
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    It should feel firm to the touch when it’s done, not soft at all like when you first purchased it.  It’s hard to describe but it’s one of those things you know when it’s firmed up. 
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    It should feel firm to the touch when it’s done, not soft at all like when you first purchased it.  It’s hard to describe but it’s one of those things you know when it’s firmed up. 
    It seems to be pretty firm now, I think I'll  pull it tomorrow and rinse. I plan to do as Unoriginalusername suggested and cut off a slice and fry it to see if I got enough salt out of it. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Once there is no more moisture coming out of the slab,7-10days it's done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55zobFpHcA
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Thanks Woodchunk, that's very informative.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    smoke it then
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Thanks Woodchunk, that's very informative.
    YW, go on YouTube and look at all the vids for curing bacon, many ways. 
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    smoke it then
    The smoking part is what I'm really looking forward to doing. I have the cold smoking attachment for my Bradley smoker and am anxious to try it out using the A-maze-n tray. I'm thinking I'll use apple smoke for about 6 hours.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    smoke it then
    The smoking part is what I'm really looking forward to doing. I have the cold smoking attachment for my Bradley smoker and am anxious to try it out using the A-maze-n tray. I'm thinking I'll use apple smoke for about 6 hours.
    Wrap it in butcher paper and then saranwrap that and put it in the fridge overnight. Really helps the smoke flavour to set before slicing 
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    smoke it then
    Wrap it in butcher paper and then saranwrap that and put it in the fridge overnight. Really helps the smoke flavour to set before slicing 
    Will do.
    Tampa Bay, Florida