Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib vs Ribeye

Ok, so recently I was able to score what I thought was an unbelieveable deal. Got a ribeye roast, bone attached,  for 1/2 price.  Brought it home and cut it up. Decided to debone rather than leave attached because that would've required the steaks to be cut at 2+" each.  So I saved the ribs for a future low and slow.  Never tried cooking beef ribs before.  Can't wait to cook these steaks.  They look awesome.  My question is, what's the difference between ribeye and prime rib?  Everything I read says that they come from same area.  Aside from removing the bone, what's the difference?

Comments

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Image result for prime rib meme
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's the same exact cut.  Difference is one is roasted, the other cooked direct as a steak.
    Agree with Nola ☝
    And Prime Rib should never be roasted to well done. As far as that goes I'd sooner eat chicken than a well done steak.  However, if requested I'll cook it however the consumer wants it.

https://youtu.be/WdJ8qNWINt0
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Prime rib has been used to describe rib roasts so much that it’s really just a name that people use for a rib roast.  “Prime rib” served at a cheap buffet is not actually prime grade beef so they should really call it rib eye roast.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Independent of  the rib roast comments-great move with the ribs.  Cook with the same process as pork ribs and trust the toothpick for the win.  They beat their pork cousins every time.  Likely take 5+/- hours at around 250*F on the dome.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I bought the same at Publix a few weeks ago but it was $6.99/lb. They even offered to cut the roast into steaks for me at no charge. Saving $2 a pound and having custom cut steaks is always a win in my book! I can't wait to cook the ribs and see how they turn out. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2019
    Yeah as far as I know they are the exact same thing. Prime rib = "Bone in rib eye roast". So, what you started with there was what people call "prime rib".

I have read that the term "prime rib" was coined because it comes from the "primal rib" section of the cow, and it is the best part of that section. I think it predates the USDA grading (select, choice, prime). 

FWIW I never see it labeled as "prime rib" in the grocery store. I suspect that they don't want there to be confusion that they are advertising it as "USDA prime". Restaurants still call it prime rib on the menu, but most likely it is a choice grade bone in ribeye roast...unless it is an expensive restaurant. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.