Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimps...help

Options
I am allergic to shrimp, but my wife loves shrimp.  I bought 2 pounds of raw, deveined, tailless shrimp that I plan on preparing.  I am looking for a nice marinade for the shrimp.  My wife does not like a lot of spice.  Also, the shrimp is cooked when it turns opaque, right?  Is there a temp I should be shooting for so I don't ruin perfectly good seafood?

Thanks for the knowledge you all provide.
XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Leave out the hot stuff or substitute something less hot

or

Shrimp cook super fast.  They have some latitude on the overcooked side if they are shelled (otherwise very hard to shell, but you said yours are shelled).  Generally when they turn opaque all over the outside, by the time you get them off the grill and they keep cooking, they are opaque through and through.  Although the very large shrimp may need additional cooking...you didn't specify the size.  Shrimp size is measured by the number of shrimp in a pound.  21-25 means any given pound will have that range of number of shrimp.

My shrimp are 31-40 range.  Thanks for the links.  I will check them out.

Appleton, WI 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    garlic, lemon, worcestershire, white wine, olive oil.
    NOLA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Add some baking soda to the marinade to help the shrimp retain moisture. Just a bit, around 1/4 tsp per lb.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Double skewer them so that when you flip them they won't just spin on the skewer. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Or use a flat skewer
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    green lightning shrimp, its not too spicy, i like it poured over a steak with extra sauce.

mexican shrimp cocktail, it keeps in the fridge for a few days

you need to wear gloves, you dont want to touch it direct if you are allergic. a grill wok might be a better option for you than skewers for the lightning shrimp, i never skewer those

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Or use a flat skewer

Then when it does somersaults over the flat skewer pull out another one and double screwer it :) 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Shrimp cook so fast and you really don’t have to marinate very long. It’s the perfect food to run a very small sample cook. Then adjust marinade and cooking time/temp.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    You could keep it real simple and just use some Italian salad dressing.  Marinade no more than 30 minutes.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It all depends on what kind of flavors your wife likes.  If your wanting a tradition take garlic, oil and lemon are are classic.   We like an Asian take sometimes so we will toss them in ginger miso paste a little evoo, and a a splash of ponzu.  We really only season about 5-10 min areas of time. 

When cooking shrimp on the on the grill it’s hot and fast.  I feel like by the time I drop the sweaters all o it’s about time to flip them.  It’s a cook that’s done in just a few min.   

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Sometimes when I am in a hurry. I set my shrimp out to dry. Start a pan on the stove on simmer or just enough to melt butter. Then I mix my spices into the pan, Garlic salt and pepper or anything else you like. Put the shrimp in the pan and toss the mixture on the shrimp. They should barely start to turn pink and take them off the stove. Then I skewer them and rest until time to sear them off. Flavor is all over them and tend to come out perfect every time for me. Good Luck!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    All great ideas.  I will have to work on my shrimp game.  Thanks everyone.

Appleton, WI 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Check out APLs grilled shrimp cocktail.

https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/grilled-shrimp-cocktail

GLS is legit as well.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I keep it simple and marinate in Zesty Italian dressing. Flat skewers is a very good suggestion.  ryannt 's pics above look like perfectly grilled shrimp.    

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit