Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry age brisket - trim first?

Options
greeting friends,

not much of a dry age, but I was gonna smoke this brisket Christmas Eve for the big day... do I trim it before letting it air out? Am I wasting time even thinking about doing this days early?

cheers
8-D

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    don't let it dry out. just keep it wrapped or in cryo until you are ready.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    greeting friends,

not much of a dry age, but I was gonna smoke this brisket Christmas Eve for the big day... do I trim it before letting it air out? Am I wasting time even thinking about doing this days early?

cheers
    8-D

It takes at least 15 days for any real dry aging to take place but you can dry brine it. 

I would trim and salt three days before the cook; have had great results with this approach. Tender and moist flat on even affordable cuts 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Bumping this thread as I just watched this video on youtube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ftBTQlo0s&t=173s

Curious what you guys think - it makes me want to try to dry age a Costco brisket.   He puts it in another dry-age bag, has anyone tried these bags before? 

Curious what @lousubcap thinks about this...  Brisket looks killer in the video. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @GoooDawgs I've dry aged both Wagyu and prime graded briskets between 55 to 60 days using the Umai Drybag system.  I found dry aging improved both.  You should try it.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Does it eliminate or cut down on the stall?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Why me?   I’m honored I’d love to have the first slice!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smokingal
    Options
    @NorthPilot06 Dry aged meat cooks much faster.  I do recall the stall being minimal compared to wet aged briskets, but each cut of meat is different.
    Arteflame grill grate

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I have never gone down that road but if I have my crap together I will wet age for 3-4 weeks before the cook; and always with the flat on the downhill slope.
    That said, if @smokingal gives it the endorsement I would trust her input. 
    On a somewhat related note-she has forgotten more about how to nail lamb ribs than I will ever acquire. 
    BTW- I believe @RRP is a big fan of Umai dry bags.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    lousubcap said:

BTW- I believe @RRP is a big fan of Umai dry bags.
    I have never hidden the fact that I'm an unpaid moderator of the UMAi Dry bag product forum. Why? Because I like their product! When I discovered they had no forum presence I suggeted they should and I volunteered to be the moderator gratis. That was now 10 years ago!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @RRP is the Buffalo
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smokingal
    Options
    I should add that if you handle and bag the meat as the Umai support personnel recommend per their instructions, you should not see any mold growth as the meat ages.

Also, the most tender brisket I ever made was wet aged for 45 days and then dry aged for 60 using the Umai dry bags.  Good stuff.
    Arteflame grill grate

• RRP
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @RRP is the Buffalo
    huh?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    @RRP is the Buffalo
    huh?
    He means at the UMAI site where you are a moderator.  You are the analog to the Buffalo over there.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I wouldn’t separate the point from the flat before you age it.  Dangerous.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    @RRP is the Buffalo
    huh?
    He means at the UMAI site where you are a moderator.  You are the analog to the Buffalo over there.
    Thanks, John. I never thought it that way. While yes I am the sheriff over there - the only newbies I have bounced over there have been a rash foreign shoe salesmen.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    @RRP is the Buffalo
    huh?
    Thanks, John. I never thought it that way. While yes I am the sheriff over there - the only newbies I have bounced over there have been a rash foreign shoe salesmen.
    Sounds like you did the right thing.   By the way that Wes Johnson guy on Twitter is not responding to me.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    @RRP is the Buffalo
    huh?
    Sounds like you did the right thing.   By the way that Wes Johnson guy on Twitter is not responding to me.
    Thanks anyway, but that guy was the wrong age. I still have that scoundrel's home address. In fact I even have his employer's address, but they choose not to pass along my requests for contact.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Was he a foreigner who sold shoes, or did he sell foreign shoes?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    Was he a foreigner who sold shoes, or did he sell foreign shoes?

or both (shudder)
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    @RRP is the Buffalo
    huh?
    Thanks anyway, but that guy was the wrong age. I still have that scoundrel's home address. In fact I even have his employer's address, but they choose not to pass along my requests for contact.
    Interesting Ron.  How did you figure out his age?
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    @lousubcap what do you mean that you always wet age with the flat towards the down slope?  Do you let the brisket sit in the fridge at an angle? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @lousubcap what do you mean that you always wet age with the flat towards the down slope?  Do you let the brisket sit in the fridge at an angle? 
    You've got it.  I have two shelves and they are off-set in height.  I go fat side up with the flat lower.  Never have done a side-by-side test of this but it works for me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Well I'll give it a go.  I've had one wet aging for 3 weeks and just flipped it over and put it on a slope.  Thanks for the tip!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    @RRP is the Buffalo
    huh?
    He is registered with Linkedin. That's also how I found his employer.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    @RRP is the Buffalo
    huh?
    He is registered with Linkedin. That's also how I found his employer.
    There are a lot of Wes Johnsons on LinkedIn.  There's even more than one in Indianapolis.  Are you sure you found the right one?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    just wondering if the fat on a brisket improves with flavor like it does on a dry aged ribeye
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    On a slope? Why?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• lousubcap
    Options
    The slope- I figure the flat can benefit more from the wet aging than the point end of the protein.  So I channel the liquid in that direction.  No science behind this other than the above thought.  FWIW-