Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Alignment

Options
Dbone21
Dbone21 Posts: 4
edited January 2019 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if anyone knew how to re-install the dome rings on a large big green egg. I am having trouble getting the top ring in place due to the tension in the spring mechanism. 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if its the older style spring bands, pop the springs off, reinstall with the dome open. dont know with last years new bands
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    if its the older style spring bands, pop the springs off, reinstall with the dome open. dont know with last years new bands
    The springs pop right out when the dome is open on the new design. Easy Peasy
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Dbone21
    Options
    So to get this straight I can remove the springs and separate the 2 rings and then reinstall them on the dome and base of the egg individually? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the bands will still be connected, it just will not spring open.  install it on the base, install dome into top band, open dome and slip the springs back on. the dome needs to be open to remove and instal the springs.  the eggs used to come new with band clips that were removed after installing them but ive always just removed the springs installed, then make adjustments.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Dbone21 said:
    So to get this straight I can remove the springs and separate the 2 rings and then reinstall them on the dome and base of the egg individually? 
    As @fishlessman said, the springs do not hold the top and bottom bands together. They simply help offset the weight making the dome easier to open and also hold it in the open position.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dbone21
    Options
    Thanks I really appreciate the advice. I will give it a shot.
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    Yea the old bands are a pain. I replaced my gasket and it took ma a dozen times adjusting, retightening and readjusting and retightening, etc. The best way I found was to attached and tighten the lower band just enough to hold in place. Place dome in place and tighten just a bit. if you have the original spacers, use them, otherwise use 8 quarters, 4 pairs, and space them between the gaskets at 2,4,8,10 o'clock. Now adjust and tighten the bands. Do the dollar bill test where you place a dollar bill around different places on the gasket, close the lid to see if you feel friction all around the gasket when you pull out the dollar. you may need to tweak this several times as I had to. Just make sure Both bands are tight before lifting the dome.

The new bands are so much easier and the springs come off easily when the lid is up. I have eggs with both types, like the new bands much more. I think the next time I replace the gasket I'm going to buy the new style bands for my older egg.  
  • Dbone21
    Options
    Ok I reinstalled the rings to the dome and the base but I am having trouble getting everything even all the way around. Any suggestions on dome to base adjustments?