Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Felling down today help me laugh

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
 So I’m still recovering from my back surgery, I’m feeling kind of down today. Four weeks postop I can barely walk, have uncontrolled pain, have to use a walker, and can’t even lift the lid on my egg.   I have contemplated selling my XLBGE, because I don’t think I’ll be able to use it. The lid is quite heavy and a little much for Norah Grace, so it will probably have to go. 

But like I said, feeling down, wishing I could go to work, and be functional. Please make me laugh, or I hear is the best medicine.

I will post one picture to get things going!!!

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    What type of back surgery did you have?  I have had two in the past two years.  Almost a year apart.  I herniated my L4 & L5, and had to have a disectomy.  I was losing feeling in my left leg.  After my second surgery, I had a lot harder time recovering.  Just be patient and take your time getting better.  You will be egging in no time.  I couldn't egg for like 4 months.  Now I am good to go and pain free finally.   
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Posted this a week or so ago on Facebook. Get well soon. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74  I had to have a redo of L5 S1.  I broke some hardware re-herniated the desk and had L4/L5 Discectomy again. Unfortunately my doctor was on able to fix the broken hardware. In his words it was quite a mess in there, and he did what he could to help me. I need to heal up from this surgery and have another one in about a year. This ti discectomy again. Unfortunately my doctor was on able to fix the broken hardware. In his words it was quite a mess in there, and he did what he could to help me. I need to heal up from this surgery and have another one in about a year.  Next time the plan is to go in through the front infuse me that way, this will be a very long and complicated surgery requiring my neurosurgeon a vascular surgeon and a general surgeon. The vascular in general surgeons are only there in the event something goes wrong, the way he explained it is this we remove and slide your intestines out of the way, remove as much of the desk as we can, put in  some sort of synthetic desk like material and fuse everything front and back. 

The reason I feel down and discouraged today is I’m really only able to walk about 50 feet before I can no longer take the pain. Pain shoots down both of my legs, and I also lose the ability to stand at times I have now fallen down the steps, because of this. Also being home alone, I realize how much my wife and daughter have been doing for me to help.  

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Wishing you a full recovery. Does your KJ have the new airlift system?
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ryantt
    Options
    @Woodchunk it doesn’t but I emailed Bobby to see if I can get the new hinge on my kJ classic.  Also Norah is able to lift that one prettty well. 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This would be funny, but there is no punch line.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    One of my all-time favourites....

The grin says it all. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74  I had to have a redo of L5 S1.  I broke some hardware re-herniated the desk and had L4/L5 Discectomy again. Unfortunately my doctor was on able to fix the broken hardware. In his words it was quite a mess in there, and he did what he could to help me. I need to heal up from this surgery and have another one in about a year. This ti discectomy again. Unfortunately my doctor was on able to fix the broken hardware. In his words it was quite a mess in there, and he did what he could to help me. I need to heal up from this surgery and have another one in about a year.  Next time the plan is to go in through the front infuse me that way, this will be a very long and complicated surgery requiring my neurosurgeon a vascular surgeon and a general surgeon. The vascular in general surgeons are only there in the event something goes wrong, the way he explained it is this we remove and slide your intestines out of the way, remove as much of the desk as we can, put in  some sort of synthetic desk like material and fuse everything front and back. 

The reason I feel down and discouraged today is I’m really only able to walk about 50 feet before I can no longer take the pain. Pain shoots down both of my legs, and I also lose the ability to stand at times I have now fallen down the steps, because of this. Also being home alone, I realize how much my wife and daughter have been doing for me to help.  

I can see why you’d be discouraged. Chin up. You’re lucky to have a wife and daughter to help you out - that’s what family is for and I’m sure that while it places additional responsibility on them, they’re happy to do it because of what you mean to them. 
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    One of my all-time favourites....

The grin says it all. 

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • ryantt
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations trying to stay positive, it’s just challenging at times.   I’m hopeful that tomorrow will be a better day.  

I truly thank you for the encouragement and reminder of how blessed I am.  I have a wife and daughter who sacrifice and put aside their own interest to help me.  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    No nothing wrong with a large and I only have a medium personally. In time you will probably be a lot stronger than now.