Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Its nice having a small egg again

cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
edited January 2019 in EggHead Forum
Only this time, it’s red. I haven’t fired it up yet, but I finally took it outside to meet its smaller siblings. 

Its a little tall on the table, I will need to figure something out. There is a matching table in the other side. Normally the mini sat on one, and the mini max on another. I think I may buy a nest for it and leave the tabletop to the eggs. What do most of you joe jr people do, leave it on the ground, or build in somehow? Looking for ideas. 

Comments

• SGH said:
    The red ones cook better =)
    Just kidding Mr. Buffalo. 
    They certainly move easier. That mini max seems much heavier in comparison. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    SGH said:
    What’s that tell you? Hmm. 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Going to be a colorful cook
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited January 2019
    SGH said:
    That the mini max isn’t as portable as people think. The KJ jr and small egg weigh the same. Not sure why the MM is heavier. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    SGH said:
    That the mini max isn’t as portable as people think. The KJ jr and small egg weigh the same. Not sure why the MM is heavier. 
    I was just bustin balls. Enjoy!😜
  • SGH said:
    I was just bustin balls. Enjoy!😜
    No worries I didn’t take offense, I bought both, how could I? :) I honestly would like to know why it’s heavier than the bigger small egg.  They chop the bottom of a small egg, and it’s 22lbs heavier now?  I guess there is a carrier, but it doesn’t weigh much. Maybe the wider bottom has more ceramic I guess.  It’s odd I think. 
  • I posted this in the Kamado Joe Facebook group last night, and someone posted a picture of the KJ jr working in a small BGE nest. I thought I would post it here for the benefit of others that might be looking for a similar solution. I’m off to my dealer tomorrow to order one. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Enjoy the time off after the #banishment(s).   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim said:
    Enjoy the time off after the #banishment(s).   
    Is that like a peace out?
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I posted this in the Kamado Joe Facebook group last night, and someone posted a picture of the KJ jr working in a small BGE nest. I thought I would post it here for the benefit of others that might be looking for a similar solution. I’m off to my dealer tomorrow to order one. 

Where did you pick yours up? HD? Costco?   SWMBO’s favorite color is red and they come fully loaded for less$$$.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • I bought mine off of someone on Facebook for $150. They are $500 I think from Kamado Joe dealers. Costco sells them from time to time where you can get them for $399 I think. 
  • SSQUAL612
    edited January 2019
    Found the Large Eqivalent at Lowe’s for $749...Reg $1,299.  They give VETS 10% Discount too.   Lifetime warranty on all ceramic.   

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • that’s an awesome deal. 
  • SSQUAL612

• It looks like that’s the older classic, which is very similar to the large. There is a newer one with new features, I think it is closer to $1000. I’ve never seen a Kamado Joe in Lowe’s around here. 
  • SSQUAL612
    I've been wanting a large and this will suffice for the price.  Can get accessories for it from a place in Denton TX.  Going to check it out in a few.
  • Good look and enjoy. KJ makes good kamados. It’s nice to have a few big players to drive innovation. It’s exciting. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I posted this in the Kamado Joe Facebook group last night, and someone posted a picture of the KJ jr working in a small BGE nest. I thought I would post it here for the benefit of others that might be looking for a similar solution. I’m off to my dealer tomorrow to order one. 

Is that a KJ classic in a large egg stand?? I was under the impression that they didn't work together.
    Honestly the stand is my least favorite part of the KJ.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain

Is that a KJ classic in a large egg stand?? I was under the impression that they didn't work together.
    Honestly the stand is my least favorite part of the KJ.
    It’s a KJ jr in a small egg stand. I’m not familiar with the dimensions between the large and the classic, but I’d bet they’re similar enough for a large egg nest to work with the classic. The small egg and KJ jr have identical dimensions. Height, width, and weight are the same. It looks like bge doesn’t have a small nest anymore. On their site, the nest for the small and medium are the same. Maybe that’s how it’s always been, not sure. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Had been looking for a used large on CL for a while so this has lifetime warranty and reasonable price.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I bought mine off of someone on Facebook for $150. They are $500 I think from Kamado Joe dealers. Costco sells them from time to time where you can get them for $399 I think. 
    You certainly got a great score on that KJ Jr. Yeah, at the Costco KJ Roadshows they sell for $399.
    Saw on a FB KJ group a day or so ago where some lucky fellow found that the Lowe's near him (somewhere in NY) had a clearance on a KJ Classic II for $400!
    Last thing I need is another grill but I couldn't have walked out of Lowe's without taking that with me.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Agreed. I probably would have bought two. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Apologies @cookingdude555 for Hijacking your thread.  
  • SSQUAL612 said:
    Apologies @cookingdude555 for Hijacking your thread.  
    You enhanced it! Glad you got your new grill. I found what I needed, and hopefully I can get the nest this week. 
  • Got the small nest, it fits perfect.

Someone on the kamado joe facebook group wanted the dimensions, I thought I would post them here if anyone wanted to know how the joe jr sits in the nest.  I decided I did not like my kamado joe jr stand that came with the grill.  It functions best as a portable stand, and I will not be taking this grill on the road with me.  Man this thing is exactly like my small egg.

Small before I sold it 18 months ago

• SSQUAL612 said:
    $729.71 out the door with Veterans Discount. 
    Hey @SSQUAL612 what is that antenna on your truck? Are you a ham?

W4MKH
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group