Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornell Chicken question

Options
Was reading through some old threads....direct/indirect, 350 or low and slow, baste or not. Didn’t really seem to be a consensus back then. Looks like basting wouldn’t allow the the skin to crisp, but someone commented that basting actually helped it crisp. Would love to hear from anyone that has had succes with this. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    No clue here but the forum search function has many hits on the subject, some of which may yield some insights.  Let us know how you proceed once you execute the cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Looked in Meathead’s book.. he suggests reverse sear. Indirect at 325, basting every 10 mins until 145 then direct high heat. So going to try that.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I had to look up the recipe know what it was.   

I’d separate the skin from meat  before I marinated.  Dry really good before it went on the egg at about 350 indirect and inverted on a stand if your leaving whole.  If you spatch I would still separate the skin, start out skin down raised in the dome at around 375 direct.   Flip when skin starts drying and skin down for the last 15mins.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    The original recipe by the professor at Cornell says, "Turn the halves every five to ten minutes, depending on the heat from the fire... The chicken should be basted with a fiver brush at each turning.  The basting should be light at first and heavy near the end of the cooking period."

That doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it best that way, but that's the way the guy who invented "Cornell Chicken" did it.