Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Units

Options
Deek1997
Deek1997 Posts: 46
edited January 2019 in Off Topic
What type/brand of Sous Vide units does everyone use?

Secondly, I’m assuming a Foodsaver bag works? Or are there special bags?

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I use foodsaver bags

What cooker do you have?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Anova here.  WI-FI sucks. Doesn’t work.  It rattles.  Sent the first one back because the water sensors crapped the bed first use.  Other than that it’s fine. 

Foodsaver bags are fine. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Foodsaver works well but ziplock bags work just fine.  Anova (what I have) and Joule are the most common and both function well.  The head of the Anovahas to be protected from too much steam or it malfunctions or shuts off.  Simple planning eliminates that problem.  There are others.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have a Chefman that I’m happy with.  The needs to be shielded from the steam as well. 

I found a knock knock of brand of vac pac bags that work great for SV.  The brand escapes me now. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    My sv brand is the popular ANOVA - none of that blue tooth stuff - just the plain ol plug in, set and forget model! As for bags - Food Saver if already in them after thawing, but if not just plain ol' inexpensive plastic bags from Kroger called 1 gallon twist tie food bags.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Deek1997
    Options
    I don’t know if it was my lucky day, fate or the fact that I’m not on Amazon enough, but it just so happened there was a lightning deal on a cooker that I ended up pulling the trigger on. 1000 watts for just over $50. Normally it was $76.

Now, I’ll have to search this forum for some ideas and tips. 

Thanks!
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    The joule is killer, imo. Very happy with my purchase, been going strong for multiple years
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Polyscience Professional, Sous Vide Demi, Anova, Home made unit
    Options
    Anova wifi model just because it's more powerful, never used the wifi. Used about 15 times never had a problem.  Got it because I did not want to have to use a phone to control it, adjustments made right on the top. 
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Mine is a Joule. They are bluetooth or wifi only. Only a power button on the unit. Works great. Didn't know the Anova doesn't like steam. I've covered the tub with the Joule and it bathed in steam and never had an issue.

I use foodsaver bags. It is not recommended to use zip lock bags because the edges can fail from the heat. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I have an Anova Bluetooth model that we picked up at target for $27 on clearance. We’ve used about a dozen times without issue.  I like it for 2inch pork chops, I do not always use a food saver, sometimes we just use a ziplock freezer bag.    
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Foodsaver bags are fine. 

Anova and Joule are two popular brands. I prefer Anova because it can be operated without a phone. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I have Anova, use it FAR more than i ever imagined, no I have not cooked a meal with it, but use it to Pre Cook for events and such. It can get noisy if the water level is low, I have not had any WI Fi issues as of yet
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    SousVide Supreme. Back when I bought it over seven years ago there was nothing better available, and it's still great. I've been very happy with it, but if I were getting one today I might go for the Joule, although I'd still consider the SVS.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i have the anova, but i have never used it.  its been in the box for a 1yr and a half.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I have an anova.  Although the foodsaver bags work well, I prefer water displacement method and ziplocks for short duration cooks.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    O.G. Anova, works great.  Looking at picking up a Joule though.  I thought the wifi phone control stuff was a gimmick as you don't need to change temps during a cook, then I heard about people who filled the bin with ice water and put the meat in there in the morning, and then a few hours before coming home use the phone to start up the Joule, and food is ready for searing when you walk in the door.

Foodsaver and ziplock bags
    Pentwater, MI
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Two ANOVAs pipe 1 and pipe 2. Zip lock leaked at higher temps, but never issue with Foodsaver. Foodsaver is ideal for ribs and pork tenderloin, you can prep, seal, freeze then right into the tres booblay. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    O.G. Anova, works great.  Looking at picking up a Joule though.  I thought the wifi phone control stuff was a gimmick as you don't need to change temps during a cook, then I heard about people who filled the bin with ice water and put the meat in there in the morning, and then a few hours before coming home use the phone to start up the Joule, and food is ready for searing when you walk in the door.

I do this all the time ^^^^
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options

How long does it take to go from ice water to the temp you choose?  Are you confident that's not too much time in the danger zone?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I think this is ^^^^^^^^^^ Is hard on any Sous Vide, I have heard of people doing this this as well but can't think of a a time I would that, I always preheat my water to desired SV Set Point give or take
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    jeponline said:

How long does it take to go from ice water to the temp you choose?  Are you confident that's not too much time in the danger zone?
    I had posted this before in a similar discussion about that method a year or so ago. Good read if you are interested - https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/experiments-to-determine-how-long-will-a-sous-vide-ice-bath-keep-food-safe

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    jeponline said:

Yes, 100% safe, 0 time spent in the danger zone.  I routinely check my water bath temperatures remotely on the joule app (during the day), that's the beauty of the app and wi-fi connectivity.  Then you're never guessing if there's still ice (32 degrees) or venturing into the danger zone.

Time to heat up to temp with ice?  I don't know, add 5 minutes to how long it would normally take.  Generally *most* of the ice has melted by this point and it takes very little thermal energy to melt the rest.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I think this is ^^^^^^^^^^ Is hard on any Sous Vide, I have heard of people doing this this as well but can't think of a a time I would that, I always preheat my water to desired SV Set Point give or take
    Hmm, not sure why you say it's hard on any SV.  The heating element doesn't warm up to a higher temp just because there's a little bit of ice in the bucket, it just adds a slight amount of time (< 5 minutes) to the heating time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    jeponline said:

I think the Anova app has an ice bath mode, where it sends an alert when the bath temp hits 40°F and you're then supposed to fire up the unit. The same can be achieved with the Joule, by monitoring the temp of the bath , then firing up the unit after 40°F.

The "danger zone" is supposedly >4 hrs between 40°F and 140°F (I think). There is no way any decent SV unit takes even close to that much time to heat up to target temp, provided the setup is operating at room temp. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Hmm, not sure why you say it's hard on any SV.  The heating element doesn't warm up to a higher temp just because there's a little bit of ice in the bucket, it just adds a slight amount of time (< 5 minutes) to the heating time.
    @NorthPilot06 , it's probably just me and stuck in my mind that way, not from a food safety stand point , but a repeated 0 to 200 MPH....its probably fine but my mind says it's easier on the equipment by starting closer to desired temp...My mind says it's not a water heater but a precision cooker that heats water ....I....I know, same thing ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    @NorthPilot06 , it's probably just me and stuck in my mind that way, not from a food safety stand point , but a repeated 0 to 200 MPH....its probably fine but my mind says it's easier on the equipment by starting closer to desired temp...My mind says it's not a water heater but a precision cooker that heats water ....I....I know, same thing ...
    Easier on your electric bill but probably no harm to the unit. I assume all of these when they first kick on and the delta t is more than a few degrees use max wattage to ramp up to temp as quickly as possible. Probably only throttle back when within a few degrees and then when just cycling to maintain temps.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TylerLane
    Options
    Count me in the Joule camp, and all I’ve ever used is ziploc’s.  Works great!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Have never understood the app based units. I can see that for novice folks the settings for rare/med rare/medium for a steak might be helpfull, but once you’ve done it once, it is pretty simple. Then again, I have lots of time and even though I tend to wander off, sous vide is pretty forgiving when you forget about it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!