Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Optimizing the Mini, initial photos.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=246261&a=12050546&p=43573555
<p />I ran out of oxygen while brazing my new hinge on, so I thought I'd lose sleep on posting the initial photos. Just in case the forum links don't work, here's the URL of the album.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=246261&a=12050546&f=0[p]
The idea of this project is to dump the clumsy and stiff toggle struts that originally held the dome open, provide a flat surface for the bands to seat on, and assorted other items (see the photos)

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Doug.W, That looks cool. Can I add this thought? I don't know if they make it, but a stainless round link chain, in a measured length, attached to the top band bolt and bottom band bolt, might be sufficent to support the dome in the opened position and limit the dome from too far a rearward movement.
    So far..so good. Innovation at work..
    C~W[p]

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Doug.W,
    all of your efforts make me wonder why they don't mold the egg that way in the first place, even with a slightly negative camber to ensure that it stays together?!?

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Doug.W,
    Great job of detailing the project...good luck and keep us posted..[p]Wess

• Actually, the hinge itself stops the dome at just past the balance point. Still, I'd like to keep the opening to less than 45 degrees to lessen the likelyhood of dumping the cap on the ground. Also, a smaller opening might have an advantage in keeping the hot gases in the dome during a quick inspection.
    Next: I just happen to have a small industrial temperature controller with thermocouple input and 20mA output.. I wonder if I can find/build a compatible mechanical actuator for the draft door :-)

• Char-Woody
    doug.w, yuppers...our old friend Supreme Commander (see visitors profiles) has all the data and information you will need to construct a automatic, computer controlled lower vent control. Made out of a battery operated portable screwdriver. Also a software program so you can dial up your BGE and reset the lower vent from your office. Hows dat? :-)
    C~W

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Char-Woody,
    C~W.. I checked the profile just outta curiosity and the link to his website doesnt work...just a heads up..not that I expect you to rectifiy it....
    I believe I have seen this set up and even posted it here some time back...if I can find it in the archives I will re post it here..if its even the same one..but it would be hard to believe 2 different people could have done that[p]Wess

• Char-Woody
    WessB, your right..only one can and did do it..A remarkable guy. Feel free to e.mail him as he was at one time open to that. I think a Internet search for Supreme Commander might find it also. I will look as well.
    C~W[p]