Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Tenderloin

Options

275 indirect till 125 internal temp. Then seared about a minute in each side. Seasoned with Montreal. Was great, may have found our new Christmas tradition

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Mighty fine!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Wow.  It doesn’t get any better than that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @Atl_Buckeye
    It looks excellent brother. Awesome job 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Perfectly cooked.   Nicely done and I am sure enjoyed by all
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Looks great!  I'm thinking of doing the same for New Years.  What wood did you smoke with?
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    I used a handful of pecan chips (didn't have any chunks). Nice light smoke flavor, not overpowering.

If you've never done one (this was my first) your biggest battle is the trimming of the roast itself. I got mine at Costco where they will happily sell you a trimmed one for about $20 more than an untrimmed one. Trimming is not hard and there are a number of youtube videos that will walk you through it.

The only other thing that I did was I folded the skinny tail end up under during the cook to try to make both sides uniform in size. I didn't bother with butcher string since you pretty much just throw it on and you don't mess with it till you reach your desired internal temp.
  • 1WVU
    Options
    it would be my first time cooking.  thanks for the tips!
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looking good!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A thing of beauty!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    @1WVU NP post your results!

I was going to do a prime rib again this year but my family definitely liked this more. My wife doesn't like like how "fleshy" PR is, so this is a great compromise and went over great. It's really an easy cook too. If you've never reverse seared (which I am a huge believer in and do all of my steaks in this fashion now), then I don't think that I mentioned to remove the convector for the searing. Take that out crank open the vents and roll the roast about a minute a side over 500-600 degrees
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Perfection right there.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • geronimo
    Options
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Impressive!!!!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• 1WVU
    Options
    @Atl_Buckeye cook turned out really well.  Didn’t get a great sear on it when I went for reverse sear but otherwise was a very easy cook.  5 lb tenderloin trimmed by the butcher and cooked at 270.  Smoked with a few cherry wood chips.  Pulled at about 128 degrees (had kids at our party and was worried parents wouldn’t let their kids eat med-rare).  Taste was spot on. Will definitely do this again!

Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    now that is how you get it done...it looks wonderful...I'm jealous!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Atl_Buckeye
    Options