Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

xmas rib roast

Options
hi everyone, 

long time lurker here.  wanted to share the details of our xmas dry aged rib roast.  i got inspiration for this from a combination of existing threads here so thanks for everyones great contributions making it pretty easy.

- full rib, prime grade
 - dry aged in beer fridge for 30 days (pics of day 0 and day 28)
 - had it trimmed and steaked up on day 28 so the roast was only 4 ribs
 - egg temp 250
 - pulled at 124, loose foil and came up to 136 before carving

couldn't have come out any better, targeting 45 days next year.  thanks again.

Comments

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Very nice cook! That had to be great eats!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    Wow! Looks great. I've never done the dry aging. Is this the first time you've done the aging? Do you feel it made a difference in the flavor?
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looking good!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Very Well Played. Looks to me like you should post more. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Looks delicious, thanks for sharing!
  • slb78
    slb78 Posts: 15
    Options
    thanks everyone!  on the question of dry aging this was my first time trying it.  i also haven't done many rib roasts so my basis of comparison is limited.  the flavor was pretty awesome but i think this also had to do with a quality piece of beef with great marbling.  from what i have read 30 days of aging is the earliest you start to get some flavor profile change and 40/45 days is more optimal/noticeable.  that is next years goal!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    A lot of people like to promote that but it isn’t true. You can get improvement within 24 hours by simply salting the meat and air drying in the fridge. That’s dry brining. Don’t oversalt, basically apply the amount of salt you would normally use. You lose a tremendous amount of moisture quickly and that improves texture and intensifies flavors. And every day makes a difference. You won’t see an earthiness (the funk) until after week 2 or so. A strong flavor will begin near the end of week 4. You can get a tremendous improvement in single steaks by using the dry brining method for 24-48 hours. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I just salted mine the day before and left uncovered in the fridge until it was time to take it out and put the butter/garlic/herb spread on.  The spread gave the crust good flavor and I plan on just following the same procedure next time since it ain’t broke so I don’t have to fix it!
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Killer!  Nailed it! As said above please post more often.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• slb78
    slb78 Posts: 15
    Options
    to close the loop on this rib rack, we reversed seared some of the steaks tonight that we cut off pre-roast.  as i said earlier i haven't done many rib roasts so my basis of comparison is limited on the dry aging flavor.  however i've done a ton of reverse sear rib eye steaks and i think the dry aging showed its benefits; this was one of the best reverse seared steaks i've done flavor wise.

my brother had the other steaks from the rib on a separate cook tonight and said the same.

the taller steak in the pics is the end piece hence the browner color.  last 20 seconds of the sear were on the coals directly per side.

thanks again for everyones contributions that inspired us doing the aging/roasting this year.  looking forward to next year already.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    You did that protein proud across the entire cooking spectrum.  Great outcomes with the roast and those steaks.  Gotta love the caveman sear for the win.  Money shot tells the tale.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Now I am hungry!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    It's beautiful!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com