Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plans have changed - Oven Roasted Prime Rib

Options
My Mother In Law was at the ER today due. Luckily it was nothing serious however instead of smoking the boneless 6 lb roast on the egg I will be cooking it in an electric oven at my In Laws.
Any recommendations are appreciated as I have seen various methods on YT.
Happy Holidays and Merry XMAS.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Same procedure as with an egg.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Preheat to 500 throw it in shut the door and turn off the oven cook till 130
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I am leaning towards 450 for 15 minutes, remove from oven and reduce temp to 325. Then cook till 125 internal.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I've done a Prime Rib with Salt Crust in the oven before (won't get any smoke flavor anyway) but do not recommend it.  It does make for a neat presentation at the table (crack the Big White Thing, and pull out a perfectly-cooked prime rib) and it was surprisingly seasoned just right.  
    Making the salt crust "dough" is one problem.  It uses salt, and egg whites, and was so stiff my KitchenAid Artisan couldn't handle it; I had to knead it by hand, in my best "christmas dinner" shirt/tie, and was soaked with sweat by the time I got it kneaded, rolled out, and sealed around the tenderloin.
    The other problem was the prime rib never got a browned crust of its own, was just a light grey-tan outside and pink throughout; I prefer a crust on the meat.    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I’d run it 375 to the finish.  No need to overthink this cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Options
    I have done them at 175 in the oven and they are great!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Change of plans again. We are having XMAS here so no need for the oven.