Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which first, mini or Large?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been planning on becoming an "egger" this spring. I've been wanting one for at least four years. I've been planning on buying a large, however as minis are bing discontinued, should I buy one of those first and buy a large later? Any advice from you would be of great help. By the way, I've never even seen a mini, our local dealer only handles larges. Thanks. TD

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    TD,
    Buy the large first, then get the small for a second. The mini is great when extreme portability is needed, but the small is a much more useful cooker. Just an opinion.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TD,
    Buy the large egg. You will not regret.

• TD,
    I agree with N B. Get a large and a small, either order will do. The mini interest right now is more of a feeding frenzy as it is being discontinued. The mini is cute, but don't get caught up in the fracas as many on this board are firm believers of "he who dies with the most toys wins!"
    PS Dr Chicken you already won your regional contest! 8^)

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    TD,[p] Agree with NatureBoy. Buy the large now, then get a small for a second egg. I have a large and a small. The large is more versatile because you can do indirect cooking on it. I got the small and use it more than the large because I can cook for just a few folks on that one and save lump. I also think the small is portable enough for my tastes. I went to look at the mini when I heard they were being discontinued. They're cute, but they are pretty darn tiny.[p]MikeO
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    TD,
    I would pick up a mini simply because they are being phased out. However, you are limited on capacity and I would not depend solely on a mini for all of your cooking unless you are just feeding yourself. The mini is easy to transport all over the place.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Hay so whats wrong with that? Collect them all, its fun.

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Yep! Probably so![p]
    Dr. C

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    TD,
    My vote is for the large. I have a large and a mini, and wouldn't trade the large for anything. I will use the mini mostly for traveling. It is nice, but IMHO not the one you should have as your only Egg. Way too limiting. Good luck.[p]Chuck <><