Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Prime Rib question. Rub night before or day of cook?

Options
I am picking up a 6lb boneless rib roast today. My plan is use Malcom Reeds recipe with Killer Hogs AP and Steak rub. Plus adding fresh minced garlic, thyme,rosemary and sage. My question is should I apply the rub the night prior and wrap in saran wrap in the fridge of just apply some EVOO and apply the rub a few hours prior to setting on the XL. Plan is 225 until 120 internal then reverse sear for a minute per side. I figure 2 - 3 hrs total cook time. 

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Rub the day before. Minced garlic, thyme, rosemary and sage a few minutes before cooking. 

Enjoy!

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Rub the day before. Minced garlic, thyme, rosemary and sage a few minutes before cooking. 

Enjoy!

That makes sense. The rub has salt in it already it will dry brine as well. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I did something similar last year (fresh herbs and garlic) and I seasoned it the night before and cooked about 16 hours later and it was awesome.  

I’m sure it’d be fine if you do it the morning of the cook also, but it was a busy time so I wanted to get some prep work out of the way while I had some down time. 

FYI - I just asked a similar question in a thread below (how long to keep tenderloin) and folks said to season a couple hours before.  
    LBGE/Maryland