Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Northern New Jersey eggers, rejoice!

Options
JacksDad
JacksDad Posts: 538

After paying way, way too much for whole packer briskets at my local butcher, which was the only way I could get them, I found the holy grail.

The Costco in Hackensack on River Road carries whole prime packers for $3.29/lb. 

So I got my first one this week. Been in the midst of a kitchen remodel so wasn't able to cook much these last few months, but we're almost done, so I fired up my beloved egg at 4:30 this morning and got this 16 lb monster going, to be served at a friend's Christmas party tonight.

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Best of luck to you, and for the Christmas Party. You will be in charge of the brisket every year should this become or be an annual event. Have fun and please keep us updated on the progress.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Enjoy, I’m sure it will turn out great. Like Ron said, you’re going to have a guaranteed invite every year
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • JacksDad
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Enjoy, I’m sure it will turn out great. Like Ron said, you’re going to have a guaranteed invite every year
    Yep. Actually, I made one for this same friends' party last year, so now I have expectations to live up to. 

I'll post pics when it's done...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    It's a Christmas Miracle!  Congrats on finding these at Costco, that's a huge win! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • JacksDad
    Options

Into the wrap to bring it home... Now resting in the oven on "warm". 

I used just salt and pepper for the rub. Apparently too much pepper (according to the wife and kids). It's a little spicy, but I like it! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• GoooDawgs
    Options
    Good eats await.  Looking forward to the finish! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    JacksDad said:

Into the wrap to bring it home... Now resting in the oven on "warm". 

I used just salt and pepper for the rub. Apparently too much pepper (according to the wife and kids). It's a little spicy, but I like it! 

Better more pepper than salt.  Way to go.  Time to bring it home. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JacksDad
    Options

The aftermath...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• GoooDawgs
    Options
    Victory!  This going to be in the regular rotation now that you can get them locally?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • JacksDad
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Victory!  This going to be in the regular rotation now that you can get them locally?
    Most definitely. I love brisket, and I love the chili I usually make with the leftovers. And brisket hash. And fried leftover brisket with eggs. And...

Now that I have a reliable source of whole packers at reasonable price... Let's just say, this will be in my frequent rotation! 

Btw, anybody else save the drippings from the foil wrap? I love this stuff! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey