Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay I Bought These. Now What?

Options
Today in Mobile Alabama I found a grocery store/cafe named "Spice" . It said that it specialized in spices and foods from Mediterranean countries but looking inside it seemed to specialize in foods from Islamic countries except for having baklava. They even had halal lamb and goat two days a week by special order. Anyhow, any ideas what to do with these two spice blends? 

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Zatar is a blend of seeds and spices often applied to flatbread. I suggest you make some fresh flatbread, slather it with some olive oil and lay on the Zatar. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Tagine with the top one - google will give you lots of good ideas, and you don’t need an actual tagine cooker to get started.  Pretty straightforward.

I love zatar, all spellings of it.  @The Cen-Tex Smoker introduced that to me. I use it on lots of different things, but if that one is hot, I would try it on wings.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Zatar is a blend of seeds and spices often applied to flatbread. I suggest you make some fresh flatbread, slather it with some olive oil and lay on the Zatar. 
    Drizzle hummus with olive oil and sprinkle on the zatar.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you ever pass through NOLA, this is a great store that specializes in spices.  You can buy the more common spices in small containers or by the drum.

Options
    Options
    I've used Seven Spice as a substitute for Baharat when making Koshari  Good comfort food.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/koshari-national-dish-of-egypt/
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I had a molar removed 10 days ago. Flatbread is real iffy until the implant gets installed next year. Thanks for the idea though. The Zarathustra isn’t toasted first?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    If you ever pass through NOLA, this is a great store that specializes in spices.  You can buy the more common spices in small containers or by the drum.

Thanks, I go to N.O. every month or two but usually just to the Quarter. Mobile is a bit less than half the distance. I originally was looking for Beberrie(spelling) paste but I ended up grabbing a couple of things at random. Thanks for the link though and sometime in 2019 I will give it a try.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    I've used Seven Spice as a substitute for Baharat when making Koshari  Good comfort food.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/koshari-national-dish-of-egypt/
    Thanks.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Thanks, I had a nice crop of sweet potatoes this year and this seems like a good use. I did come up with a great mashed sweet potato recipe but no Egg was involved.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Zatar is great to season a tomato, cucumber, and red onion salad.

One of our favorite things to do with ras el hanout is to season butternut squash or peeled and chopped sweet potato, then roast until tender.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    heck, I'm pulling some chicken out of the freezer right now.  Found some spice (just got the blender today).
    Options
    in the oven...
    Options
    Today in Mobile Alabama I found a grocery store/cafe named "Spice" . 
    Question my friend. Was the name of the store 7Spice on Airport Boulevard?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    It was on Airport Boulevard. I didn’t notice the 7 but it was indeed possible. Not far from Arby’s but on the North side of the boulevard.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH said:
    It was on Airport Boulevard. I didn’t notice the 7 but it was indeed possible. Not far from Arby’s but on the North side of the boulevard.
    Yes sir, that’s 7Spice. I have drove by it numerous times but never stopped in. How did you like it?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You could look up traditional recipes, or just use it as any other spice blend and experiment.

1. Chicken "curry" - make sofrito with onion, garlic, ginger sauteed in oil or ghee. Add a small tomato,  if you like. Then add 2 lbs skinless, bone-in chicken (thighs, drumsticks, whatever) and brown. Add water to make a sauce and cook until chicken is done.

2. Use as a rub when grilling chicken or other proteins. I bet it would taste good on grilled eggplant too. 

Lots of other possibilities :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Did you register w Homeland Security?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    Yes sir, that’s 7Spice. I have drove by it numerous times but never stopped in. How did you like it?
    It was nice. Many many spices and foods that I don’t know but that is what I was looking for.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Did you register w Homeland Security?
    No but I decided not to ask if it would be good on pork. They also had a huge selection of hookahs and assorted smokables. Again I didn’t check if hashish was one of them.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I also spent some time at Academy Sports. I helped a woman select some rub for her husbands Christmas. Poor guy has a Traeger so they needed the help . I also told her how to order Meat Church and DP and to use Amazon Prime.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've not had "hot" za'atar, but I'm going to guess it has Aleppo pepper, or something similar in it. Kind of like hot paprika. The standard use is for dipping oiled pita into it. I've used it as a topping for Indian parathas that I gave a coat of ghee when I flipped them, and then dusted w. za'atar.

Ras-al-hanout means "top of the shop, " and varies from vendor to vendor, but contains a blend of the best they have. Typically very complex, good w. bland stuff like couscous or lentils. But will also stand up to stronger flavors. I'll be using some in a lamb and chickpea stew tonight.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    zataar, i see it most on syrian breads, theres several syrian bakeries near me.  doesnt have to be syrian bread, works on butter fried toast and really good on garlic bread. use it on lamb, grilled pork chops, grilled veggie skewers. some have sumac some dont, the ones with sumac taste better to me.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
  • fishlessman
    Options
    It has sumac.
    salt down some centercut lamb chops and hit it hard with the zataar, its really a good spice.  its one of the only rubs i buy anymore
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    It has sumac.
    salt down some centercut lamb chops and hit it hard with the zataar, its really a good spice.  its one of the only rubs i buy anymore
    As soon as I knock over a bank. Lamb is Very expensive here. I do have a frozen partial leg of lamb in the freezer that I caught on special though.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    It has sumac.
    As soon as I knock over a bank. Lamb is Very expensive here. I do have a frozen partial leg of lamb in the freezer that I caught on special though.
    i only buy the centercut lamb chops when they are in the managers special area.  its not often but when they are there i would kick myself if i did not buy them. those are like candy

fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I just checked and lamb chops were $18 a pound. So I bought chicken thighs. Do you imagine skin on or off? It looks like I will have to oil and salt them. I will put them on in a couple of hours.