Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs other Smokers for SRF

Options
As I prepare for my SRF black grade brisket cook tomorrow evening, it's good to have such a wealth of knowledge from this forum.  It's interesting when I check other sites just how different the advice is for wagyu briskets, and I'm curious why that is. 

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264641
https://bbqbeat.com/wagyu-brisket/

Most of these guys - perhaps because it's competition - don't even check until internal temp is 205+.  That bbqbeat site says they might even go up to 217 internal temp!  Other thread says to probe for tenderness, and once it's done, wait another 30 minutes. 

I know the friggin cow drives the cook, but is it our cookers that cause such a big difference in this advice?  Most on here have their SRFs come off in low 190s. 

Any thoughts? 
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    217F SRF brisket = Shoe leather 
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    2 years ago I had a SRF brisket that cooked WAY faster than any of the others I've had and I took it off at 205*, FTC'd it for almost 7 hours and it was fine.  I did not think it was as good as the ones I've taken off when they've hit the low 190's.

I'm going to take a stab at this and say the reasons for the differences on this site versus the other sites is because they're cooking for competition, where (by and large) we cook for family & friends.

Personally, I think as long as you go by the "buttah" feel, you will be just fine, but I'm sure others can chime in and give their takes, which are probably just as good as well.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I have only had one SRF "finish" in the mid 190's.  All the others have been in the low 200's.  The competition teams are looking for the one-shot wow taste test.  I don't know how an injection impacts the cook as I have not gone down that road.  I will offer that the lower you cook any brisket the more fat you will render by the time you cross the finish-line but beyond that...
    The quality of the SRF is such that it is more forgiving regarding the width of the finish-line window.  So, you have more latitude to nail it.  That said, I see in the above where they all trust the feel as the determinator as to how to wrap up the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Stoogie said:

I'm going to take a stab at this and say the reasons for the differences on this site versus the other sites is because they're cooking for competition, where (by and large) we cook for family & friends.

This is what drives me crazy about taking brisket advice from YouTube. 99% of the videos on prep and cook are geared towards competition and it's not always obvious.  That inadvertently leads to Joe Noby that's cooking for his friends or family throwing most of the precious fat cap in the trash and cutting off big sections of good meat, b/c that's what all the videos are telling him.  There's surprisingly little instructional videos on cooking for "yield", or whatever it's called considering most of the audience is competing.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Wow!  competition or not, can't imagine brisket at 217 or even close.  I've always pulled at 195 ish and do not believe cooking higher could make it better.  I've been wrong before, just doesn't seem logical to me and I was an avid Weber Smoky Mountain cooker before my Egg. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I wouldn’t consider those temps as necessarily competition guidelines.  We cooked competitions for years and always checked temps and tenderness below 200.  They may not have been ready that low but I recall one wagyu probed like butter in the low 180s.  Surprised the heck out of us but it was a good thing we probed early.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA