Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any "CHOWDER-HEADS" out there?

Options
SMITTYtheSMOKER
SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been approached about competing in the upcoming Santa Cruz Chowder Cookoff here in Feb 2007. I need to pick the brains of any of you guys (or gals) who have a good chowder recipe that I can do on the Egg. Wondering about smoking chowder???? I plan to compete in both New England and Manhatton catagories. [p]Chowder tips anyone?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Smitty[p]I can hook you up with the best/ freshest clams ever. I dig 'em myself and use them for chowder or just eating right out of the shell. Most of the chowder I make includes lots of potatoes, onions, bacon or ham, celery..... there's lots of magic ingredients. :)
    Shoot me an email - I'll help you out!!

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    I am not that familiar with either of the style chowders you are entering but, think about smoking 1/2 of the corn for a nice touch. Too much smoke will be worst than no smoke at all, know what I mean VERN ???[p]Go off the wall, try incorporating shrimp in your chowder for a twist. Want something different, make an ABT using smoked Gouda and pepperjack or Brie and bacon instead of cream cheese and sausage and leaving the stem on the pepper, wrap each ABT with a wonton wrapper and fry them, use this to garnish the top of your soup. Remember, food has to taste good but when it looks good and taste good, YOU HAVE A WINNER !!!
    If you need help with anything you can email me at
    william@williammenard.com

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Thanks for the tips...I'm looking over the rules now and it states that the New England clam chowder must have a "predominant clam flavor".
    Another interesting snipit says "Judges will give greater consideration to traditional recipes".[p]I will be in touch, thanks for your offer.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Chef Wil is one of the finest individuals you will ever meet. Great talking to you tonight, pics on the way. You need to make an appearance more often my friend.[p]kaleigh11.jpg[p]Mike
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    There's our girl!!!!
    She's beautiful like always.[p]Thanks for posting the picture Mike!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    Real New England clam chowdah is, in my world, made with salt pork, clams (cherrystones or quahogs) potato and that's pretty much it. The only thing that is sometimes added is a dollop of cream or whole milk after it's been ladled into the bowl. That's what traditional is here without being cute. Email and and I'll give you more detail if you want chowdah with taste to it.

• swamprb
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,I like to lightly smoke razor clams with alder, make a New England base, add some bacon,potato,carrot,and celery and a little PESTO!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    i have an older book up at camp that i could look at and maybe send some info to you later in the month. new england chowder ranges from a broth style chowder to a milk, to a thicker cream and flour base. i dont see the broth style much, not for years. use salt pork we wouldnt use bacon. quahogs or big sea clams if you can find them. dont make it red, thats a soup from down south.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    fishlessman,[p] I emailed him the recipe for both New England and Manhattan Clam Chowdah from my Grandmothers 1944 Edition of the Boston School of Cooking Cook Book.[p]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]After my mom's death my sister walked off with the family recipe collection dating back to the 1880s - it included the chowder that my dad always made. Any chance of getting a copy of you chowder recipe? Just the New England version though - the other would be anathema in my family. <LOL>
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    swamprb,[p]Thanks for the tip...I'd like the Egg to do some of the work at this event. I'm going to play with a few things.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Thanks, we'll do.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA