Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

40 pounds of Boston Butt on a Large BGE...

LOCOCOOKr
LOCOCOOKr Posts: 3
edited December 2018 in EggHead Forum
I have been asked to cook 4-10 pound butts for an event on Saturday and I just have one large BGE. 

Can i I take the fire ring out and turn the plate setter upside down with a grate for my first layer? My plan for the next layer is to use bricks and put another grate for the remaining  2 butts. 

How long should it take with this set-up?
can i do it in one burn?

Please only post if you have done something similar to this before. 

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    While I haven't done that much, it can be done. I would leave the fire ring in, put 3 of the butts on the first grid. Use some bolts, nuts and washers to make a raised grid and put the other on that one. 
    The one on top will cook a little quicker, the three on the bottom will cook around the same time together .
    Las Vegas, NV

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i would do 2 turbo and then hold them in a cooler while you do the other 2, i have done that before and it came out fine but makes it hard to do overnights doing it that way.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    You have that thing in the kitchen with knobs that is a great assistant in a pinch...if you can't do 2 layers in the egg, get a couole hiurs of smoke on 2 if them , then go indoors 225 and toss the other 2 on the Egg...works out fine 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I have done 4 butts at a time many times with the adjustable rig.  Two per level.  Takes about the same amount of time as one of the same size.  Maybe just a bit longer.  Put a probe in as many as you can, as they don't necessarily cook at the same speed.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    these were 8 pounders and the double brisket layer takes up more room.  rogue setup, used a pan for indirect, no platesetter, went 14 hours around 235 dome temp. very hard to get a good reading of dome temps with all that cold meat in there, you need to stabilize the egg temps and trust it for many hours

Image result for 32 pounds fishlessman

also go boneless, easier to shape them to fit

2005012055jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Make sure you have a large enough drip pan for all the grease from 40# of pork butts.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I’m thinking you could arrange 3 in a triangle somewhat open and lay a grate on top of that for your 4th. Or not.