Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody else grow up loving "smashed tator patties"?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK...I may be older than a bunch of you, but when I was a kid back in the 50's we loved left over mashed potatoes which my Mother would then form in to patties and fry them. Last Thursday my sister-in-law left us about 3# of fresh - NOT instant - mashed potatoes. I'm sure it's simple, but does anybody have a recollection of that 50's PGASAWAC recipe? (PGASAWAC = Pre Give A Sh*t About Weight And Cholesterol?)
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    RRP,
    i did some two weeks ago but all i did was add butter to a pan make them into patties and fry them with a little salt, pepper, and dizzy pig cow lick(i am getting carried away i know but i have put it onto popcorn and EVERYTHING else)when they developed that "crust" i pulled them addes butter and enjoyed i dont know what else i would do diffrently except maybe make them silver doller size
    HTH
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RRP,
    "A recollection" is about all I have... Add an egg to each couple pounds of potatoes; you want the potatoes stiff enough that you could form them into a ball. If, with the egg added, they're too loose add flour by the tablespoon till they're stiff enough. Put a ball, bigger than an egg but smaller than a baseball, in a hot greasy skillet; flatten the ball and fry till golden.[p]Fry 'em in bacon drippings from the can on the back of the stove. Don't use butter unless company's coming.[p]Gettin' hungry for 'em myself.[p]Ken

• jwirlwind
    Options
    RRP,
    But of course!!!![p]Chef Jerry

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    RRP,[p]We always called it lefse, even though we knew it really wasn't the real deal. :)
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    sounds familar with the cajun trilogy added as well, saute'd onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic makes a cup of jello taste good.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    RRP,
    You have a wart older than me. Potato Cakes? Lots of syrup and butter.[p]Mike

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    RRP,[p]I'll try and find my recipe in the morning and e-mail it to you. I use egg, flour, and sometimes green onion. Have a nice eveinig. AZ
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    RRP,[p]Shape Cold Mashed Potatoes into small flat cakes and roll in flour. Butter Hot omelet pan, put in cakes and brown one side, turn and brown other side adding butter as needed to prevent burning. [p]Easy Peasy :)[p]Plagiarized for the 1944 Edition of the Boston Cooking School Cookbook.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hey Ron,
    Guess Old Bordello is up there in the age thing with you. LOL
    Ha,
    I'm still doing the leftover "Smashed Tater" thing. I do it mostly with real tater's but also with the tater's I get from Costco.[p]Ha,
    I guess being divorced twice and single for 30 years has taught "Old Bordello" a thing or two.[p]Cheers,
    Old Bordello Bob
    Ugly Old Fart with no sense of humor

• Q-rious Tom
    Options
    RRP,[p]My mother's simple version --[p]shape cold leftover mashed into patties about half-an-inch thick and three to four inches around. Heat bacon grease in cast-iron skillet until it just starts to smoke, back off the heat a bit, and add tater cakes. Cook until crisp-brown on the bottom, then flip. Pull when second side is crisp.[p]Note that her mashed potatoes where just potato and milk; no water, no butter, no other additives.[p]Tom
  • KensethFan
    Options
    RRP,[p]I miss my the way my mom used to make them. I may have to cook some myself. I thinking a little sharp cheddar and some crumbled bacon mixed with the potatoes before cooking would be good, maybe even add a dollop of sour cream on top.