Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Lids.... like they cannot be lifted.

I live in Wisconsin and have both a Mini and Large.  Well, we recently had a deluge of rain for two straight days and then freezing weather.  So, I go out to start a smoke and I cannot open the Large.  The Mini had the same problem but I was able to bring that one in the house to deice it.  The Large was just too heavy.... what to do..... what to do.... wait until Spring?  I took two drop cloths and double layered over the Egg with the wings extended.  Then I took an electric space heater and ran it.  Well, at 19 degrees it took 90 minutes but yup, it worked.  I guess a cover would make some sense but most people say they do not use them and it went all last winter without this happening so I just need to be aware of rain followed by a freeze.
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I've heard folks opening the bottom screen and starting a small fire down there.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    when i lived in the cold, i would drop a fire starter inside from the top and get it warm that way.  i

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Prop the dome open using golf tees 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    When you shut it down, place strips of HDAF on the gasket surface for a good portion of the circumference.   This will preclude them freezing together.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @Driller, I had the same problem this week as well.  I just started a small fire in the bottom and let it run.  Opened up after 25 minutes or so.
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • Chris8938 said:
    @Driller, I had the same problem this week as well.  I just started a small fire in the bottom and let it run.  Opened up after 25 minutes or so.
    Me too. I dropped some hot coals thru the chimney...took around 15 minutes to warm up.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • When I forget to prop and mine freezes I do the same thing, half a load of chimney and dump through the daisy wheel opening
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Driller said:
    I live in Wisconsin and have both a Mini and Large.  Well, we recently had a deluge of rain for two straight days and then freezing weather.  So, I go out to start a smoke and I cannot open the Large.  The Mini had the same problem but I was able to bring that one in the house to deice it.  The Large was just too heavy.... what to do..... what to do.... wait until Spring?  I took two drop cloths and double layered over the Egg with the wings extended.  Then I took an electric space heater and ran it.  Well, at 19 degrees it took 90 minutes but yup, it worked.  I guess a cover would make some sense but most people say they do not use them and it went all last winter without this happening so I just need to be aware of rain followed by a freeze.
    Where in Wisco are you?  I'm in Oostburg.  Not that I'm any help, mine lives in the garage and I wheel it out when I need it.
  • Oostberg, my brother in law has a house there on the lake, what a beautiful small town. Had many a breakfast at Judi's place! 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i dont have gaskets anymore and it does not freeze shut.  when your gasket goes contact @rrp for a rutland gasket, it seems to cure the freeze problem
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited December 2018
    lousubcap said:
    When you shut it down, place strips of HDAF on the gasket surface for a good portion of the circumference.   This will preclude them freezing together.
    Depends what kind of gasket he's running with.

If the felt gasket is wet, it will still freeze to metal foil, both sides. 

If the foil is in place all the time, and acts like flashing to keep the lower felt gasket dry, then maybe

If it's a rutland on the lower rim and none on top, then the foil should work. 

Or just light from below. If it takes a half hour or so to release, your fire will be good to go when you open the lid.

• lwrehm said:
    Driller said:
    Where in Wisco are you?  I'm in Oostburg.  Not that I'm any help, mine lives in the garage and I wheel it out when I need it.
    I am in Waukesha

Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.
  • I tried a hair dryer to thaw once when it was about 10 degrees out (failed).  I tried a fire starter cube dropped from the top vent (failed ..went out too fast) and then a starter cube in the bottom vent area (success).  Now I cover in the winter and usually leave something small propping it open just in case.  Golf tee like others or twig.  Whatever is close by.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    If it gets that cold I would MOVE south
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GoldenQ said:
    If it gets that cold I would MOVE south
    You sure you want all of us in Texas?
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max