Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg must haves

trying to put some other things on the Christmas list so tell me what I’m missing.

Got a large egg with these accessories
-cast iron grate
-smokeware cap
-BBQ Guru
-pizza stone
-half moon cast iron skillet

There has to be something amazing out there I am missing. Thanks 

Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I would add Thermoworks "Smoke " remote thermometer and a  "Thermopen ".  Total necessity. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • trying to put some other things on the Christmas list so tell me what I’m missing.

-cast iron grate
    -smokeware cap
    -BBQ Guru
    -pizza stone

Adjustable Rack from Ceramic Grill Store and an instant read thermo. Either a Javelin pro Duo or a Thermapen

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    adjustable rig
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Heat gloves (something to handle hot stuff off the egg)
    -more cast iron!  Get a full skillet and a Dutch oven for chili
    - ash scraper.  Def not required, and can be substituted with something else.  But, I use it for everything.  Scraping out ash, chipping off ice, stirring coals, adjusting the daisy wheel or screen when it’s nuclear hot.
    - look into the NOMEX gasket.  @RRP can hook you up.  The felt gasket will be shredded within a year.

Welcome to the Club! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Kick Ash Basket. Just snagged one from my local dealer for $60! Even at regular price it's worth it. Cook, shut down, let cool, lift stuff out of the way, shake basket, Done!
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i would drop the bbq guru and put the FB500 there instead, much better.  if your ordering from smokeware, i would get the ash tool it is much better than the egg one.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Meat :smiley:

The Adjustable  Rig was worth it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    trying to put some other things on the Christmas list so tell me what I’m missing.

-cast iron grate
    -smokeware cap
    -BBQ Guru
    -pizza stone

It would help to know the size of your Egg.
    But will assume Large BGE.
    Like many have said, highly suggest Ceramic Grill Store’s Adjustable Rig with pizza stone.
    Good instant read thermometer.
    Cast iron grate really does nothing but give pretty grill marks.
    I would skip the half moon and get a full skillet.
    Welders gloves for lifting hot things in and out of Egg.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Agree with CGS, have the PSwoo, raised extender, spider and some half grids and stones which come in handy. 

After your broke, KAB, Smokeware cap and large temp dials are handy

i like having a cast iron pot and Dutch oven, also love my cast iron half moon for smash burgers etc., a pizza stone rounds out the cooking surfaces. 

A pot for sauce, grid lifter, gloves, loof lighter etc all come in handy as does a remote temp prob and a high quality insta read pen. 

Heavy duty foil, aluminum pans are must have disposable accessories and a spray bottle is awesome for big meats. 

Some good knives make sure your food looks just as good on the plate
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited December 2018
    caliking said:
    Meat :smiley:
    Beverage  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited December 2018
    Fancy phone/camera to take magazine quality pics...
    actually I kid as my pics are routinely poor quality but I don't care.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Thermapen
    welding gloves 
    ash tool 
    ash tray thing 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Norah Grace and I use 4 things with most every cook. Our log book, Rockwood charcoal, SmokerBrix and our trusty thermopen MK4.   You don’t need a bunch of fancy gadgets to cook on your egg, just a way to setup for indirect.  

I would suggest you figure out what what it is you want to use your egg for and then start looking st options.    Like which size will your 2nd and 3rd eggs be. 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• A gazebo to put your egg in.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Kick ash 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Some good knives are nice. Some good rubs for when you don't want to mix up your own: dizzypigbbq.com, albukirky.com, and meat church rubs come to mind.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Harbor freight weed burner to light your egg. Or mapgas plumbing torch. 

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    2nd egg, 3rd egg, umm.... 4th egg, Blackstone, pizza oven? 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    ColtsFan said:
    2nd egg, 3rd egg, umm.... 4th egg, Blackstone, pizza oven? 
    If you could have none of the rest and a second egg. Pretty much eliminates the “need” of lots of the “accessories”. Not saying they aren’t worth it. In the end you’ll buy those as well. Just to clarify we are expert money spenders—yours. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Mo' Money
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Loud music.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    td66snrf said:
    I would add Thermoworks "Smoke " remote thermometer and a  "Thermopen ".  Total necessity. 
    The "Smoke" is now behind the times.  If you have the cash, go for the "Signals 4-Channel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth BBQ Alarm Thermometer".
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    The only must have IMO is a way to cook indirect. I egged for years with one accessory; the plate setter.  I even egged for a year or so before that with just three fire bricks and a borrowed grate from my Weber. After that get a good instant read thermometer (I bought a thermopen).  After that .........well then it becomes an addiction.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    The Grill Light from Smokeware has become very handy not that we are on DST and for setting up overnight cooks. https://smokeware.com/collections/grill-lights/products/1-arm-ultra-bright-grill-light
  • If you don’t have it, a platesetter.  Smokeware cap, and kick ash basket should be at the top of the list. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    All you really need is a way to cook indirect, raised direct and a quick read thermometer. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428

Aerosol Duck Fat!!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure