Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: First Time Making Sausage

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
Later today I will be making some Italian sausage using collagen casings. I take it they need to be rinsed/soaked prior to use? How long?
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Wish I could help but have only used natural casings and rinsed and soaked as per instructions on package.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• CTMike
    Options
    So google tells me natural casings must be rinsed/soaked, doesn’t seem to apply to collagen. Thanks. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    No need on collagen ...., post your progress , would love to see the results ..if you have a decent meat market near by, they likely stock natural casings for your future projects 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    ^^ this. And even if you get too much, lay them in several layers of paper towels for an hour or two to try and dry them a bit. Then put in a 1Qt ziplock bag with a bunch of iodine free salt and give it a good shake/rub to get the casings surrounded by the salt. They will hold for a year at least. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    And yes, please post pictures. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Interesting that you decide to stuff some sausage on the first day of Army Navy week.....

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Interesting that you decide to stuff some sausage on the first day of Army Navy week.....

Wanted to give you something to practice with. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CTMike said:
    thetrim said:

Wanted to give you something to practice with. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Started out cutting 3 butts and 3 center cut roasts into 1” strips. Then grind twice, first with the coarse plate, second time with the fine plate. 

Decided to only make the sweet and hot Italian, the jalapeño cheddar summer sausage will wait. 

Used the Backwoods spice kits from LEM as they were convenient, next time I will mix my own as I felt the sweet came out a little bland. 

I don’t have any photos during stuffing, but here’s a couple after action shots. Ended up with 13 lbs of hot and 20 lbs of sweet. Currently sitting in the garage fridge overnight, will tie into link tomorrow I guess. Tried making links while stuffing and they just kept coming untwisted. Must be some trick I don’t know. 

I won’t be making sausage again until I have a dedicated stuffer. Filling the casings by hand is a major pain in the arse. I now know what @ikapigian meant by “fun.” The grinder attachment for the Hobart worked great, no immediate need to buy a dedicated grinder. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Beautiful @CTMike.....told you that you'd have fun with that stuffer  =)

Awesome looking links 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Awesome looking links 
    So how do I make individual links? Was planning on just tying two knots close together with twine and cut in between. Is there a better way?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    CTMike said:
    lkapigian said:

Awesome looking links 
    So how do I make individual links? Was planning on just tying two knots close together with twine and cut in between. Is there a better way?
    Sooo many link methods twist individual links in the opposite direction ...h...here is a couple options https://youtu.be/CyDaacRLBTY
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    CTMike said:
    lkapigian said:

Awesome looking links 
    Sooo many link methods twist individual links in the opposite direction ...h...here is a couple options https://youtu.be/CyDaacRLBTY
    Thanks 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.