Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to re start fire during low n slow?

Options
Hey folks- 

put a nine pound shoulder on at 11PM at 250 grate temp. Thought it was steady but 4am here and I’ve opened the daisy so holes are open and bottom vent about 1/2 inch, but temp is 198 and dropping. Meat at 155.

do I just take meat out, rake coals, add lump and re light? Is the meat OK to be out while I do that?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Me thinks you have a huge airflow issue...id almost be tempted to finish in the oven and empty the Firefox in th AM and see what happened 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Meat should be fine. Crank it up to 350 and finish it off
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I assume you are past getting your BGE going but next time, use a metal clothes hanger and come in thru the draft door, poke the coat hanger up thru the fire grate in many places and wiggle. It should clear the ash blockage.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I use a propane torch.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • tarheel488
    Options
    Thanks all for getting back. I reloaded with lump and fired that up. The coals were pretty down so I suppose airflow got clogged?

i cleared it all up before so I’m surprised. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,345
    Options
    Thanks all for getting back. I reloaded with lump and fired that up. The coals were pretty down so I suppose airflow got clogged?

Coals pretty dfowns reads to me like you were running out of fuel not air-flow.  If the fuel issue, load it well above the fire-box up into the fire ring and then light it next time.  You about double the lump load going from the top of the box to the top of the ring.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheel488
    Options
    Very helpful! Thank you! Will do that next time.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Coals pretty dfowns reads to me like you were running out of fuel not air-flow.  If the fuel issue, load it well above the fire-box up into the fire ring and then light it next time.  You about double the lump load going from the top of the box to the top of the ring.  FWIW-
      I have to agree here, if I am going for a overnight smoke I will clean the fire box, grate, everything. Load to the top of the ring, and light in 4-5 places. Also I light a hour or two before adding protein in order to let the temperature stabilize. 
     My hats off to ya for tackling a over night smoke!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.