Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dickey’s BBQ

Options
We finally got are one and only bbq joint where I live.  It’s Dickey’s bbq i think their a franchise type business.  I never at Texas or low and sow bbq from a restaurant before.  Food and sides were ok. Only thing I didn’t try were the ribs.  
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Dickey’s is terrible here. It’s all cooked offsite and trucked in and kept in hot boxes. Hopefully it will be better where you are.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeah- this is food shipped in bags and reheated in steamers. Ain’t no pits at Dickey’s Pit Barbecue. I’ve never been in one of the restaurants but I’ve had it at catered events dozens of times. When you are comparing it to Jason’s deli or q’doba burrito bar it’s fine. When you are going out for Q (especially here) it’s not fine. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I think they’re using  a pellet smoker. I saw the owner loading what appeared to be pellets into a pellet hoper.  I never had low and slow bbq prior to my egg. Now I have something to compare my bbq to.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    If you think if it as "fast food" bbq it's okay. I've had worse. Just not great. Most people don't understand what goes into bbq. Most people are happy to smell smoke and stuff fall off a bone. Not too many people own smoker's or have the patience to make Q. When Dickeys compares to their crock pot ribs their happy. The customer is in and out in a few minutes and have a happy belly. We might be a little more picky than most. I'd have no problem eating a Dickeys pulled pork sandwich put in front of me. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    g37 said:
    I think they’re using  a pellet smoker. I saw the owner loading what appeared to be pellets into a pellet hoper.  I never had low and slow bbq prior to my egg. Now I have something to compare my bbq to.  
    That’s interesting. They have them in strip malls here with no smokers to be seen. They are in DFW airport too. Maybe they have different formats. The ones here (that I’ve seen)  are not cooking onsite. They are just rewarming stuff they get on trucks. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That’s interesting. They have them in strip malls here with no smokers to be seen. They are in DFW airport too. Maybe they have different formats. The ones here (that I’ve seen)  are not cooking onsite. They are just rewarming stuff they get on trucks. 
    There is one in Biloxi. I haven’t been in there in a long time but when they first opened they had several Backwoods verticals in there. The sausage wasn’t to bad. Didn’t try anything else. The snob in me wouldn’t allow it ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    This pic is not from their restaurant, but they had two of these at the time. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• g37
    Options
    That looks exactly what they have. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • g37
    Options
    Funny u mention the sausage. That’s the best thing I tasted.  I asked the manager if they would sell me uncooked sausage. He said I can buy cooked sausage by the pound.  I didn’t want to break his heart and tell him my BGE will make that sausage taste a lot better then his smoker.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    OP's location is Hawaii-I'm guessing on-site smoking/cooking is the only way to justify any sort of price points for the customer.  However, I'm not in the business and it has been several years since I was in Paradise.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I’ve eaten at one in LA. It was ok, not worth the price tho. Granddaughter loved the free ice cream lol. My favorite comment from her was “these ribs aren’t as good as yours papa”
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • SGH
    Options
    g37 said:
    Funny u mention the sausage. That’s the best thing I tasted.  
    It’s the only thing I tasted. It was a jalapeño, cheddar sausage. I will give them credit for it, it was pretty good. But with that said, you have to try pretty hard to F up sausage =)

Status- Standing by.

• g37
    edited December 2018
    Options
    What a coincidence my friend said the same thing your granddaughter did but he was really loud about it.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    They're still in business here in utard, which surprises me.  An employee mistook a lye-based cleaner for sugar, and dumped the appropriate amount into their "sweet tea"; middle-aged woman filled her cup, took a few swigs, and almost died.  In-store cameras recorded it and the local news had to show it, over and over.  
    Fortunately she survived, and to her credit she forgave them and never sued.  I'd eaten there once before this incident, but like @WeberWho said, it was "fast-food" barbeque and I haven't/won't eat there again.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    They're still in business here in utard, which surprises me.  An employee mistook a lye-based cleaner for sugar, and dumped the appropriate amount into their "sweet tea"; middle-aged woman filled her cup, took a few swigs, and almost died.  In-store cameras recorded it and the local news had to show it, over and over.  
    Fortunately she survived, and to her credit she forgave them and never sued.  I'd eaten there once before this incident, but like @WeberWho said, it was "fast-food" barbeque and I haven't/won't eat there again.  
    I was there for Outdoor Retailer a couple of years ago when that story was breaking. Yikes. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    g37 said:
      I never had low and slow bbq prior to my egg. Now I have something to compare my bbq to.  
    G, I would like to steer this in a different direction away from their reputation here in the states. It isn’t fair, simply because we have an abundance of good Q, and as stated it is a chain that is hiring low wage employees with no experience. They literally have to dumb it down. That being said. You will soon realize that very few restaurants can put out the quality that you can off the egg. It might take a little time, and some mistakes. But with the help here and trial and error it will come to a point that many items simply aren’t worth the money from a restaurant. Now, convenience, no dishes, or a special night out will become about atmosphere or simply that you are whipped, busy and don’t feel like cooking. So I would say it might be better to evaluate them for what they are and not try to compare what you enjoy to cook, to them. Some people like ribs that fall off the bone and are soaked in sweet sauce. Others like a dry rub only, that you chew off the bone—both are right. You’ll find out what you like as the adventure of it unfolds, and in your house it’s a slam dunk. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    g37 said:
    It’s probably just a scheme for a new store to make folks think it’s “real” BBQ. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The one I had near me(that lasted 6 months) had the smokers. I observed the pre-made meat removed from vacuum packed bags and loaded in them. I suppose to lay some fresh smoke on while reheating.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    And you make fun of me for loving the McRib!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    thetrim said:
    And you make fun of me for loving the McRib!
    Yes we do... 
  • jimdgreat1
    Options
    The one here in town near me isn't bad. Makes for a great lunch.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I must be sheltered - never heard of this establishment. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SGH
    Options
    I must be sheltered - never heard of this establishment. 
    You are not alone brother. I had never heard of them until one popped up down the road. 

Status- Standing by.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I have eaten there several times though not precisely by choice. A professional organization that I am a member of meets there. Not the best bbq by a long shot. Last time it was cold.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    g37 said:
    Same as salt lick in DFW.  Quality is poor
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    g37 said:
    Same as salt lick in DFW.  Quality is poor
    That is also bbq in a bag. They don’t even hide it; you can buy a whole cold brisket in a bag to take home with you on the plane. They precook them all at the restaurants too and rewarm for service. I don’t think they bag them there but they pre cook and blast cool them to reheat for service later. I read an article where the owner says they do that “for extra flavor”. He said it’s “like spaghetti sauce; it’s better after a few days in the fridge”. Now that is some creative spin. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    Ive eaten at both Dickeys and Salt Lick exactly once in DFW.  Wont go back.

They have a salt lick now in the Austin Airport- I havent eaten there but I got a to go beer on Wednesday PM that was quite tasty.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Ive eaten at both Dickeys and Salt Lick exactly once in DFW.  Wont go back.

They have a salt lick now in the Austin Airport- I havent eaten there but I got a to go beer on Wednesday PM that was quite tasty.
    They have been there for years but just opened the one either bar across from where the original food stall was. It’s the same as DFW. Brisket in a bag. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    we have eaten at the dickey's here in Huntsville a few times, kids eat free on Sundays and its a large mall area.  we have had it here a few time and its eatable, i wouldn't say its the best in the world but decent.  we have noticed if you get there at 11 when they open it is significantly better than if you get there for dinner.  everything is cooked overnight it appears and is only fresh when they open.  i talked with one of the cooks one evenings we were there, they do smoke it fresh every night as i saw him putting all the meats in prior to close.  i did like that they served the sauces warmed, gives them a different flavor and the kids love the free ice cream. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'd say Dickeys is to BBQ, what McDonalds is to hamburgers.  

Phoenix