Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

great ribs

Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ribs2.jpg
<p />Well my first try at ribs was a huge success!!! Started out by smoking some peppers, a red bell, a poblano (to go on a sammich with the reheated pork tenderloin, at the top of photo, while waiting for the ribs) and some jalapenos. Made up a q sauce with some of the jalapenos in it, see the link below, it was great. Then did the baby backs. Indirect for 3 hours at 250, foil for 45 min then direct for 1-1/2 hours with sauce the last 30 min. As you can see they were perfect. They were melt in your mouth, fall off the bone, gone in 10 minutes delicious. The biggest mistake i made was not doing more. [p]A big thanks to all of you for the ideas, advise and encouragement you have given me. This forum adds a lot to owning a BGE. [p]Chuck <><
[ul][li]Jalapeno Q Sauce[/ul]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Chuck, I'm just gonna fun ya a bit here as those look like smashingly good ribs.
    Fun part -> "it is amazing how resilient the BGE is even when using foil"
    That will get GFW rompin in here in defense. But your right in a way..it is a option to use. That sauce will be a hit with the hot pepper club here. Thanks for sharing the meal with us..congrat's on a good cook.
    C~W

• Chuck
    Char-Woody,
    I had a feeling there would be a "foil" comment. The next rib cook will not use foil, not because these were not good, but you never know what may be better unless you try.[p]I really feel like part of the family now, I was "roasted" by Char-Woody. It is indeed an honor sir. (:-)

• Char-Woody
    Chuck, my friend, your doing great! If I didn't welcome you to the forum, I apologize and will do it now. [p]I was going to suggest a non foil rib as an alternative and then compare. GFW cooks some fabulous ribs and this is a really great take off for getting familiar with the BGE. (I do a sauce/foil myself sometimes to make the wiffy happy) JJ is the master of non foil cooks, but he is "spare rib" fanatic. I go for loin or baby backs. Speaking of ribs..We may have some surprises coming up..!
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Chuck,
    Got to love the restaurant steamed in foil method.

• WillieB
    WillieB Posts: 21
    Chuck,
    Them thar ribs do look mighty fine! The sauce even looks like it would be good on chicken, maybe some pulled pork? And all I cooked today was about 5 tri tip steaks and a drunk chicken! Darned ribs costs to much! Or at least for cooking demos.
    Again, if anyone wants to try a CAB brisket in Lubbock, United at 50th and Indiana has them for $1.59 lb.
    WillieB

• WillieB
    Chuck,
    Don't let these good old boys get to you, use foil if you want or any other method that works for you. Heck, lots of cooks use foil, they just are ashamed or afraid to admit it, as they might get "hammered". I have used and not used foil on ribs and briskets. Seen many a dollar won by cooks that use foil for part of the cooking process. I would rather use cheese cloth myself.
    Guess I am not a purist, but again, I am pretty sure the food I turn out is going to be darn good!
    Brag about what you cook, just don't mention the foil part! heheheh
    IMHO
    WillieB

• Char-Woody
    WillieB, dang..there ya go, givin away all the top pro secrets..And ruining JJ and my images...heeeyaaaa!
    Now I am gonna have to invite Chef Paul Kirk over to explain my friend Willy B's foil tactics..:-)
    We agree, ribs are good in many ways..but I gotta go with the articulate no foil sauced or super dry rub rib. Specially dry rub..then you get the best of both worlds if you want a side sauce to compliment em.
    Cheers to ya.....C~W[p]

• JJ
    Char-Woody,
    Hey the guy is a McRibs fanatic.

• JJ, what are you doin up so late..?? Coffee time comes too early in the morn?

• JJ
    C~W,
    Just had to reply to the McDonald employee before going to bed.

• Chuck, I like to keep an open mind on all matters. But from my two experiences cooking spare ribs in the egg...remove that back skin, and cook'em indirect for 4-4.5hrs. If you got a Sam's or Costco; get the cryo pack and go. Both my rib cooks came out awsome, with the meatiest, moist, but not-at-all-fatty ribs I've ever had. The Egg is the best! Read the forum and links. I've heard great things about the 3-1.5-1 method using foil. The method that I read that was best is to grill'em direct, turning every 45 mins. Experiment and have fun.

• Chuck, I like to keep an open mind on all matters. But from my two experiences cooking spare ribs in the egg...remove that back skin, and cook'em indirect for 4-4.5hrs. If you got a Sam's or Costco; get the cryo pack and go. Both my rib cooks came out awsome, with the meatiest, moist, but not-at-all-fatty ribs I've ever had. The Egg is the best! Read the forum and links. I've heard great things about the 3-1.5-1 method using foil. The method that I read that was best is to grill'em direct, turning every 45 mins. Experiment and have fun. Forgot to add to keep'em at 250 degrees on the indirect method, though I like to start out a little cooler during the first half hr of heavy smoking. I don't open the lid for the first three hrs.

• WillieB
    JJ,
    Guess again JJ, no foil cowboy here, but don't put the newbies down so if they choose to use it. And Char-Woody, had to cook the ribs dry up around Memphis and wet and sweet down here in Texas. We happen to like them both ways. Used to tell the Judges in MIM, them thar ribs are so good you don't need no stinkin sauce but if they had to have it, we did supply a sweet and one with a wee bit of bite. Red Neck Rib Rustlers[p]WillieB

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    WillieB,
    I don't see much problem with the foil. I've done both with and without with great success. I must sat this too, it depends on who's eating them which way I'll do them. I'll tell you one thing, I can't eat ribs out anymore. BLECH!!!! I'm getting darned tired of someone charging me $15 for a boiled rack of ribs with sauce dribbled on them! Boiling them is a sin!!! I've got a butt on right now, tomorrow's a good day!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    JJ, you are amazing and you must have a philosophy - "if you don't like it, it just isn't any good!" [p]There's another old saying "if you haven't got anything nice to say, maybe it shouldn't be said!"[p]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Chuck, those ribs do look great. Unlike C~W and JJ, I have a tendency to use foil - it's just a matter of personal preference. [p]The method that’s BEST is the method that works BEST FOR YOU, not necessarily for someone else. I personally prefer to put the result over the method. [p]Have a great day! :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Chuck,
    Those ribs look great! I too prefer the "foil method" over the straight indirect or direct method. I've never had complaint #1 yet either! Next week, it is ribs for the whole team at work. You can bet, I'll have all three of the Eggs going and possibly a fourth! (If my daughter & son-in-law will let me use their's too!) When you want things done right, you make sure it is done on the Egg![p]Nice pic's! How were the peppers?[p]Dr. Chicken

• Chuck
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I've done the peppers a few times now and they are really good. I like to use them on sandwiches or just to eat with some cheese and crackers. They are a big hit with my family. Give them a try.[p]
  • JJ
    Chuck,
    Just pullin your chain a little last evening. Remember one thing, what ever suits your fancy is the way to go. There is no right or wrong way.

• Chuck
    JJ,
    If I had only known, i would have left out the foil part of my post.(:-) At least it started a lively exchange. I will be trying ribs again, soon, and will use no foil to compare, I bet I'll love them too. Also,if McRibs tasted like the ones i made yesterday McDonalds wouldn't need to sell hamburgers any more. [p]By the way, i apologize for not mentioning that there was pleanty of JJ's rub on the ribs starting the night before the cook. That stuffs good on almost everything.

• JJ
    Chuck,
    Nice thing about this forum, we can have fun and still remain family.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Chuck, Foil or no foil, there are teams that wrap their ribs in tinfoil that are winning at cookoffs.....use it if it works for you.....Nothing wrong with it![p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    WillieB, I am laffin till it hurts...Well, I ain't gonna push GFW''s or even my own ribs away..and this thread is really stirring my digestive juices...Now if we can just get you Texans to say what ya mean so we all can understand it...heeeeeyaaaa..
    Cheer's to ya friend..Avoid McDonalds..
    C~W[p]

• Gfw, its just JJ's way of having fun..and most will have to agree..JJ's method works very well also. Just imagine those ribs, with a thick layer of JJ' rub, simmering along at 210 to 220F degrees, either direct or indirect, just hot enuff to melt the brown sugars and create that wunnerful rub smell, and at the same time a tangy crust, and at the end of 5 hours or so, you can grab a bone, and with a slight tug, strip the meaty, yet juicy, rub flavored meat off the bone. It won't fall off the bone like sauced and foiled, but you can peel it off. Now that is dang good eating also. And its worth a try..Just like you and I do (differently of course) with foil. I go 3 hours indirect, and 1 hour foiled with sauce, and you can shake the meat off the bones, and still have the slight crusty exterior. Either way, JJ, your's or mine, tis scrumptious eats, and thats what rings the bell. :-)
    All three beats McRibs...heeyaaaa.
    Peace my friend...!
    C~W....and I bet WillyB would eat em all toooooooo.!~[p]

• Chuck,
    Looks super! This method you used is the one I use too! that foil thing just does the trick. Veggies look good too

• C~W,
    In church this morning I asked God how he does his baby backs on his BGE,God does His like it says on GFW's site.However we will all have to wait till heaven for that ultimate sauce. Angel's are keeping that one for when I get there. Have a good Sunday to all!

• Char-Woody
    Uncle Dave, it doesn't hurt to pray a bit every time you toss in the ribs..But IMHO..God has other more important activities than to worry about our Q tastes.
    C~W

• JJ
    Uncle Dave,
    Best you go back to church and beg GOD for forgiveness for lieing. I am not that religious but using GOD as you did is blasphimous.