Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

one large turkey breast or tow smaller ones

Options
We have 12 guests for Thanksgiving. I am planning to cook turkey breast on XL.   Should I try to get 2 about 6-7 pounds each or one about 12 pounds.  I am thinking the 2 smaller may be juicer when cooked.  Any suggestions
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I’m no expert but finding a 12lb Breast might be a challenge.  Even if I found it I would prefer to have 2 smaller ones, more manageable cook time, also I could have 2 different experiences for my guest, 1 traditional the other something different.   Maybe I would cook it with a cranberry and  fig glaze (which is awsome) or go with citrus notes the options are endless 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    12 lb breast? Things really are bigger in Texas huh?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    First, let me acknowledge that I am basically lazy. When it comes to a Turkey, I hate the bones, grease and carving. I take a bit of a different approach. One that might work well for you with your number of attendees. 

I get my butcher to get me a case of...boneless turkey breast foil wrapped. These have been injected and are super easy to cook and slice....clean up is a breeze. Basically I thaw, remove the cryvac and bring the egg up to temp. I roast the turkey foil wrapped at 250-275 until internal temp reaches about 135 - 140. At that point I open the foil and expose the breast allowing it to brown and absorb some smoke (smoke based on your preference). I don’t add any wood to my Rockwood). When it reaches 160 I remove and allow to rest, capturing the juices from the foil for making gravy. When ready to cut, I simply cut the two breast down the middle, turn each on their side and easily slice the bird. I can’t tell you how easy this is but the best part is you will have all moist slices to enjoy. 

Here is is the product I purchase. The yield of the 8-9 pound breast is about 85-90% of the original uncooked weight. One would likly service your family’s needs. They come two to a case so I usually have one for Thanksgiving, and hold the other one for Christmas Holliday’s. I pay in the neighborhood of $85 from my butcher....so about $40 a bird. The yield is great, simple to cook and near impossible to screw it up. The bird is extremely moist. Down side? No dark meat...which I am ok with. These are commonly available from food service suppliers....thus your butcher should have access. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    What @ryantt said; anytime I get a chance to cook two items with different seasonings/techniques, I jump on it.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Thanks, I will go for 2
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I really like dark meat and would go for a 14 lb bird for that 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Mad Max all the way. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95