Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs W/Pics

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought these "choice" beef ribs at Sams a few weeks ago. I am not a real big fan of beef ribs or brisket. I thought every thing is better on the egg so why not. I spiced lighty with a rub. I cooked these indirect for 3.5 hours. I used guava wood for smoke, 2 smaller pieces. Then I foiled them for about 1.5 hours. No sauce, no nore seasonings than what was first rubbed on the short ribs. I will be doing these over and over again. If brisket would taste this good I think I would try that too.[p]PB050163.jpg[p]PB260172.jpg[p]PB260173.jpg

Comments

• schley
    schley Posts: 35
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Wow! That looks good, gotta give that a try.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Go for it! Brisket is great when it all comes together. I've had better luck with briskets than beef ribs ;), no kidding. Slathering a brisket with mustard and Dizzy Pig rub (your choice) and slo cooking, its one of our favorite foods from the Egg. So give one a try, and I think you will be happy with the results.
    HTH,
    ron.

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Those look really great, I have got to try them. Nice work, AZ
  • BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Looks like a great meal! Next time you want to do these ask the meat folks for a pack of whole short ribs. Last time I got some I think there were 2 to a pack with 3 bones on each rack. [p]The length of the bones look like something Fred Flintstone would have eaten! The meat really pulls back on them when they are cooked.[p]Last ones I did were just as good if not better than any steak I have had yet. I season them just as I do brisket and cook them until they are fork tender.[p]Now you have me thinking of making some of these since it's been about a year since I made them last...[p]Bob

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Guava wood on beef ribs... that's what I'm talking about!! GREAT STUFF.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I'm sure Rumrunner will correct me if I'm wrong, but these are commonly called "flanken" short ribs and they are basically thin cross cuts of a rib roast. They taste like ribeyes to me. I usually marinate them and grill them like a steak, but I'll have to try the slower cook on 'em. Yours look outstanding![p]Jim
  • big hound
    Options
    bbqBob,
    That's the way I do my short ribs. Smoked some up on Thur night. 7 hrs. 225 degrees, indirect. One rib takes up the length of the plate and then some. Tender, jucy and flavorfull. Don't know why the butchers cut them into little pieces, so much better in the half rack.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    schley,[p]They were relly really good. Fall apart tender. [p]E

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    ChefRD,[p]Should I do just a point or maybe a flat? A whole packer just seems like too much of a gamble.[p]E
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    AZ Traveler,[p]Thanks. For once I gambles and it turned out.[p]E
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]I think I have seen pics on here that someone has cooked. That would surely intimidate the kids. LOL[p]E

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Wardster,[p]That was part of my gamble. I like guava on everything else, so why not. Worked GREAT.[p]E

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Thanks thats quite a compliment from you. I think that my ignorance really helped me with these. Foiling really helped too. They really just fell apart on your fork. My son ate the last one when he got home from school today.[p]E

• RocketMan
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]I've tried those a couple of times - did low & indirect for 5-6 hours trying to render out the fat (never tried foiling them) - always came out tender & tasty, but real greasy... how were yours on the "grease scale"? I'd pretty much given up on them, but may try again with the foil...[p]Larry (Mr QBabe) made some at Eggtoberfest this year with a Korean-style marinade that were good (was hoping the marinade recipe would bein this years cookbook, but alas no... hint, hint)[p]- Andy
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Rocketman,[p]There was not any grease to speak of. There was some along the edges, but that pealed easily. There was also some in the foil, but that stayed in the foil. My 10 year old daughted didn't complain, so it must not have been too bad. LOL[p]E