Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low iodine diet? Has anyone experienced this?

Options
MasterC
MasterC Posts: 1,375
If you have been there, please any advice. I did pick up some Morton non-iodine table salt. That will help. 
Fort Wayne Indiana 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    havent been there but after a quick search i would be hitting good butcher shops for meat just to avoid the unmarked solution added meat in the supermarkets. man theres a long list of things to avoid, anything from the sea, no breads, no dairy,nothing processed, most things canned, red dye, beans, rice, lots of veggies, eating out etc.   atleast most of the meats are there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MasterC
    Options
    Silver lining is you can drink beer. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,102
    edited November 2018
    Options

havent been there but after a quick search i would be hitting good butcher shops for meat just to avoid the unmarked solution added meat in the supermarkets. man theres a long list of things to avoid, anything from the sea, no breads, no dairy,nothing processed, most things canned, red dye, beans, rice, lots of veggies, eating out etc.   atleast most of the meats are there
    Dude, you just made me sad and it is not my diet.  Now I need to worry about iodine free diet and tick that causes red meat allergy.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like fun, until this happens...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MasterC
    Options
    caliking said:

Well that happened, that is why I am on this diet for five weeks. I found some good info at NIH
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • caliking
    Options
    MasterC said:
    caliking said:

Well that happened, that is why I am on this diet for five weeks. I found some good info at NIH
    You had goiter from too much iodine, or not enough iodine? Goiter is typically caused by iodine deficiency. 

• MasterC
    Options
    Thyroid cancer. The diet is to starve the body of iodine which in turn will be used in delivering the radiation. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Thyroid cancer. The diet is to starve the body of iodine which in turn will be used in delivering the radiation. 
    Dang. Hope your treatments go well. 
  • MasterC
    Options
    Thank you DoubleEgger. This is my third battle with cancer and I expect to beat again.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I want to like th beat part, but not the third part. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Thank you DoubleEgger. This is my third battle with cancer and I expect to beat again.
    You sir are a tough bird. I like it. 
  • caliking
    Options
    My apologies- I misunderstood initially. 

Wishing you the best for your treatment, and that you gain the upper hand on this again. 

• MasterC
    Options
    Thank you caliking. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,102
    Options
    I wish you the best!  Good luck, and hopefully there are some tasty and healthy food options for you.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • MasterC
    Options
    Just took these off. Apple wood smoke, kosher salt and black pepper 
    Fort Wayne Indiana