Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket leaks

Greetings. I installed a rutland gasket. I put the egg back together and used the red spacers to adjust the lid. The problem is it leaks. I've tried adjusting several times and it still leaks. Any thoughts or tips greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited November 2018
    Where is it leaking? Is there an over/under bite? If not, loosen the top band push down with force on the dome and retighten the top band
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited November 2018
    I’d be surprised if it’s the gasket. Probably need to do what @ColtsFan suggested. Did you bunch it when you installed it?

Can you post some pics? And welcome to the forum. 

edit: was there a reason you disassembled your Egg to install the gasket?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Pictures would be helpful to diagnose your issue. 
    For example: below is my example of a fried gasket coupled with an underbite. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • daben
    daben Posts: 4
    It does not appear to have an over or under bite. I did bunch the gasket. In fact it ended up where I didn't have to cut any of it. Ill try pushing it down and see what happens. Thanks.
  • What size egg? This sounds similar to one of my XLs that has a gap.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2018

If your gasket is leaking like in that picture the planes of your dome and base are clearly out of whack! Forget using those spacers and close the dome, loosened the nuts and press down on the dome with sufficient force so the dome is firmly sitting on the base. Then tighten nuts. 

The other point is if you used the whole length of gasket then I hope you followed my instructions of marking the gasket in quarters. Otherwise one quarter is thicker than the other quarters. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    You need a good amount of pressure squeezing the dome and base together before cranking down on the bolts. I used buckle straps run under the base and over the dome to supply ample force before tightening the bolts. Might help to use a 2x4 resting on top of the exhaust of the dome to get even pressure. 
  • daben
    daben Posts: 4
    It doesn't leak like the one in the picture. I did make it in quarters like you say to in the instructions.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Dyal_SC said:
    You need a good amount of pressure squeezing the dome and base together before cranking down on the bolts. I used buckle straps run under the base and over the dome to supply ample force before tightening the bolts. Might help to use a 2x4 resting on top of the exhaust of the dome to get even pressure. 
    I agree. Or if you have a small wife or child then place a piece of wood on the neck and have them sit on it. Only problem if your wife does it DO NOT TAKE A PICTURE!!! =)=)=)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Dyal_SC said:

@Dyal_SC gives good advice with the 2x4 / rachet straps

I might add that when 2x4's and rachet straps are needed to fix known hinge issues, it might be time for a re design.  I'm looking to you BGE.

Phoenix 
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    blasting said:
    Dyal_SC said:

I might add that when 2x4's and rachet straps are needed to fix known hinge issues, it might be time for a re design.  I'm looking to you BGE.

@blasting These hinge issues to which you refer, are they not corrected in the new hinge & band assembly?  Just curious as I purchased one and have yet to install it.

Posts like these have me really dreading replacing my base.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • New hinge is intuitive and simple to install dive in @smokingal
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    smokingal said:
    blasting said:
    Dyal_SC said:

@blasting These hinge issues to which you refer, are they not corrected in the new hinge & band assembly?  Just curious as I purchased one and have yet to install it.

Posts like these have me really dreading replacing my base.

@smokingal I didn't mean to make anyone nervous.  The new bands look like an improvement as far as keeping the dome from falling out.  I'm not sure they fixed the alignment issues any.  It's all fixable, just a pain.  Enjoy your new bands.

Phoenix