Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cured Turkey?

Options
I know plenty of people that brine their turkey. But does anybody ever cure it? People around here go crazy for the turkey at the local butcher shops this time of year. They are smoked but I notice that they are always cured. I am in charge of the Thanksgiving turkey this year and I know I will brine it. But I can’t seem to find much info on whole “cured” turkey. Does anybody on here cure there turkey?
NW IOWA

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Nobody?? Apparently I should of named the post OT cured turkey peace out OT
    NW IOWA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have no idea, but I'm interested in the answer.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    Nobody?? Apparently I should of named the post OT cured turkey peace out OT
    i have never seen one, it must be a local type item. closest ive seen would be a kosher dry salted fresh bird
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    Does anybody on here cure there turkey?
    Absolutely. Been doing it for years. A couple of times a year I will cure turkey legs to make our version of Disney World smoked turkey legs. 
    I use Processors Choice Brown Sugar Cure A478 0050. Simply mix the cure per the directions that come with it, inject the turkey heavily with the cure, and then soak (submerge) the turkey in the liquid cure for 48 hours. It’s just that simple my friend. I use that same cure for making our version of homemade Honey Baked Hams as well. 
    If you need farther guidance or have questions, shoot me a text or call later this afternoon. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Philly35
    Options
    I’ve cured my fair share of turkey legs. I was just curious if anyone cures the whole bird?
    NW IOWA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    I’ve cured my fair share of turkey legs. I was just curious if anyone cures the whole bird?
    Yes sir. It works on the whole bird or a whole breast just as well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the cured turkey legs. Are they a lot better than simply smoking the legs in a smoker?
    I'm definitely interested in curing a whole turkey, if they turn out better than a traditionally smoked one. Curing a ham sounds good also.
     My test brined Turkey from a few weeks ago was a failure.
    The specter of a Thanksgiving Turkey ruined is already causing me to lose sleep.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Better?  Definitely different. Many would say better.  Serving a cured turkey at Thanksgiving would sure surprise your guests.  Not the flavor profile they would expect.  For a more traditional approach for turkey day, I would go with normal cooked turkey and maybe cook some additional cured thigh or legs for people to try. 

Not sure what a second cure on a ham would do. Definitely wouldn't try it for the first time for Thanksgiving.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Philly35
    Options
    GregW said:
    I'm not familiar with the cured turkey legs. Are they a lot better than simply smoking the legs in a smoker?
    I'm definitely interested in curing a whole turkey, if they turn out better than a traditionally smoked one. Curing a ham sounds good also.
    The specter of a Thanksgiving Turkey ruined is already causing me to lose sleep.

Care to elaborate on your failed turkey? What happened?
    NW IOWA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    GregW said:

Care to elaborate on your failed turkey? What happened?
    The 24 hr brine left the turkey excessively moist. The excess moisture also diluted the traditional flavor of the meat.
    A 12 hr brine would probably help.
  • Philly35
    Options
    Well I cured the Turkey for Thanksgiving. We had plenty of people over so there was a regular turkey plus mine. And I took zero pictures. 

I have some Hi Mountain jerky cure that I used for the cure and added a couple tablespoons of kosher salt in the mix for a dry brine. Sweet and spicy was the flavor for the Hi Mountain. It wasn’t spicy at all either. I spatchcocked it and set it to air dry Monday night and let it set till Thursday. It was Amazing. Everybody loved it and it didn’t last long. To those who have never cured a turkey, I suggest you do it. You are missing out! They should be on sale now so it’ll be a good time to try it!
    NW IOWA
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Options
    I am confused. Does this mean that there is no roasting or smoking of the bird?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Fredb said:
    I am confused. Does this mean that there is no roasting or smoking of the bird?
    Still smoked up to a safe IT
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Options