Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs

tclamberth
tclamberth Posts: 162
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
spare ribs newb here kind of...usually get ST. louis cut, but decided today to get a whole slab of Spare ribs. Any tips? Sone people say cut them down and some say leave then and smoke it all

Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I cut them into ST Louis and Cook the Rib Tips Separate , but no wrong answer you can smoke them whole and cut them down later 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I don't usually cut them.  I just buy what I'm in the mood for and cook them as they come out of the package.  

When I'm in the mood for spares I usually run them dry (no sauce/glaze) but I spritz them with apple juice through the cook.

When I'm in the mood for St. Louis cut I usually cook them like some competition guys taught me with some time in foil and a glaze at the end.

The finish line is the same either way - using the toothpick test (passes through between the ribs like a hot knife through butter).  

Depending on how thick the meat is, the spares may take a little longer than the St. Louis cut.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I like either spares cooked low  225-250 or baby backs cooked at 300   but wrap both after 2-2.2 hours for an hour then unwrap until done
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    I ran some spare ribs turbo method a few weeks ago that were awesome. The family really enjoyed them. These had a little bite to them vs. fall off the bone. If you are interested just search for it on the forum, there is plenty of info. Good luck, I love spare ribs!
    LBGE
    AL
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    I ran some spare ribs turbo method a few weeks ago that were awesome. The family really enjoyed them. These had a little bite to them vs. fall off the bone. If you are interested just search for it on the forum, there is plenty of info. Good luck, I love spare ribs!
    Temp and time? Did you wrap? 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    lkapigian said:
    I cut them into ST Louis and Cook the Rib Tips Separate , but no wrong answer you can smoke them whole and cut them down later 
    I cut my own stl pretty regularly. I just throw the cartilage meat, as I call it, on for a treat. I don’t like the guest having to spit out pieces of cartilage. Hard to avoid some of that at the knuckle where the slab is cut but hey, I try.  Just to cumbersome for my liking. Maybe if I had a big offset. Maybe. 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    @510BG It was 350 indirect for roughly 2 to 2 1/2 hours, they take a little longer than baby backs. Instead of a specific time I went for the toothpick/bend test. No wrap or flip.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Tha is for the tips. I’ll be throwing the whole thing on this afternoon so will be back with some pics tonight.

gonna rock DP Dizzy Dust and Swamp venom with a little Stubbs BBQ sauce near the end as the glaze 
  • Did one slab wet and one dry. Both turned out fantastic.

Top slab wasn’t nearly as big and seemed more like St. Louis style than whole spare ribs, but bottom was the whole thing. put a 3rd slab the size of the bottom one in the freeze for next time 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    looks great from here the juices on the board say everything you need it to say
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Dude.
    Way to go. You have hero status with me. Those look delicious.
    I smoke mine with peach at 225F. I use a dry rub on my ribs.
    For BBs I let them go for about 5 hours prior to the toothpick test, (which is inserting and removing with no resistance.) For St Louis I give them 6 hours with the toothpick to test.
    Occasionally I will wrap the ribs, our children and their friends love them that way.
    I wrap after adding squeeze Parkay, brown sugar, and honey on both sides after a couple hours on the grill, I leave them in the wrap for an hour, (2 if I forget about them) then remove the foil, and baste for the last 30 mins to an hour in their favorite BBQ sauce, which is Sweet Baby Ray's, with peach preserves added.
    Hope this helps, but, it seems with your results, none is needed.
    Definitely a great cook on those. Congrats.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Dude.  Those look outstanding. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX