Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Day Side Dishes

Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,357
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
So what side dishes are you doing for Thanksgiving this year?

On my list
Mashed potatoes
Deviled eggs
Blackeyes peas or butter beans
Stuffing 

Need a couple more. 

Jacksonville FL

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2018
    Sweet potato casserole
    Mac and Cheese
    zucchini noodles
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mac and cheese, green bean casserole are a must in this house. 
  • Dobie
    Hmmmm Mac & cheese on two responses already, do you guys do stuffing and taters too? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • My mom does the sides, I do the bird. 

Sweet potato casserole
    green beans
    mashed potatoes
    cranberry salad
    mac and cheese
    creamed corn
    deviled eggs
    pimeapple casserole
    broccoli casserole
    fried squash
    and on and on

she goes a little overboard 

• Dobie
    Sweet potato casserole
    Mac and Cheese
    zucchini noodles
    Zucchini noodles are interesting, do tell. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Dobie said:
    Sweet potato casserole
    Mac and Cheese
    zucchini noodles
    Pretty simple if you have the equipment. I use the kitchenaid attachment. There are also a bunch of less expensive spiralizers out there. 

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixers/attachments/p.7-blade-spiralizer-plus-with-peel,-core-and-slice.ksm2apc.html?cmp=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItvbnq8vD3gIVBL7ACh3hIQBUEAAYASAAEgLF0vD_BwE

Take a raw zucchini and put in the spiralizer. Let it make the noodles. Then salt the noodles so they will sweat. I take then noodle and squeeze as much moisture as possible out by wringing them out in paper towel. Then I toss them in some olive oil and put salt pepper onion garlic on them and cook them on my blackstone for just a couple minutes on full heat. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Dobie
    I’ve got a food processor I rarely use that will do that thanks!
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    If I could get away with just the bird...
    I fire up some ABT's, roasted garlic, and always cold shrimp on the front end.  Remainder is very pedestrian...but all good.
    The closer is the post Thanksgiving turkey purge SRF brisket on the following Sunday.  Wet aging game is on now. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Yeast rolls (w cardamom)
    Collards (w massive ham hock cooked in homemade chicken stock)
    Cranberry sauce
    Duck fat sweet potato fries
    Dressing (w homemade turkey stock)
    Gravy.....lots of gravy

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • I left out cornbread dressing.  My fave. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2018
    Aspagus casserole 
    Cornbread dressing
    Scallpoed taters
    Butter Beans
    Carmel Cake & pecan pie

......of course a Bloody Mary to kick the day off. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dobie
    lousubcap said:
    If I could get away with just the bird...
    I fire up some ABT's, roasted garlic, and always cold shrimp on the front end.  Remainder is very pedestrian...but all good.
    The closer is the post Thanksgiving turkey purge SRF brisket on the following Sunday.  Wet aging game is on now. 
    Kinda where I’m at. Got a new kitchen and I’m going to let the wife do the bird in the oven. Just trying to think about sides and apps and always have the staples that are good but seem a bit boring. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I have fixed a heavy butter and oyster casserole for MANY years which was my Dad's favorite.

Now when a similar thread here starts I will glady post our favorite pumpkin dessert which knocks the socks off any stupid ole pumpkin pie!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    We’ll do a dinner w several families in the neighborhood.  A few of us will do turkeys and everyone brings a side dish or two. 

Mine will be corn casserole, and I may give rice and broccoli casserole a go this year.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Dobie said:
    Sweet potato casserole
    Mac and Cheese
    zucchini noodles
    Pretty simple if you have the equipment. I use the kitchenaid attachment. There are also a bunch of less expensive spiralizers out there. 

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixers/attachments/p.7-blade-spiralizer-plus-with-peel,-core-and-slice.ksm2apc.html?cmp=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItvbnq8vD3gIVBL7ACh3hIQBUEAAYASAAEgLF0vD_BwE

Take a raw zucchini and put in the spiralizer. Let it make the noodles. Then salt the noodles so they will sweat. I take then noodle and squeeze as much moisture as possible out by wringing them out in paper towel. Then I toss them in some olive oil and put salt pepper onion garlic on them and cook them on my blackstone for just a couple minutes on full heat. 
    That sounds way too healthy for Thanksgiving. I need to carb overload to ensure I sleep through the Cowboys sucking. 
  • Ours is pretty standard. Turkey, Cornbread dressing, mashed taters, gravy from drippings, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, rolls. Usually have an assortment of appetizers out for the early football game. And for traditions sake I usually take care of a 6 pack of Lagunitas Brown Shugga or Lagunitas Sucks. 
  • Hey, I've got a great recipe for a no-cook side: Banana Pudding.
    I made two small changes. 1 1/2 cups of milk instead of 3 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    YukonRon said:
    We will be doing crab claws and an SRF standing, bone in 11.5# Rib Roast.
    The sides will be onion soup with a Brulee gorgonzola topping, Blue Cheese Cole slaw, au gratin potatoes, and My Beautiful Wifes potato bread rolls.
    Desert will be home made White Russian ice cream, made by the children (19 and 24).
    If we survive that there will be wings, ABTs, pig shots, and ribs over the weekend.
    Oh yeah, there will be wine. Lots of wine. How bad could that be?
    the holiday starts on wednesday for us, usually with a ham wednesday and thursday the bird but really leaning towards that french onion soup for wednesday now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Not a side dish but more of an appetizer to have on hand throughout the day.  I do a crockpot of meatballs with a sauce that consists of grape jelly, Heinz 57 chili sauce and red pepper flakes.  Throw the frozen meatballs in with a bunch of jelly and chili sauce on low and add peppers to taste.  These things don’t last 10 minutes during office potlucks.  
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Try substituting a can or two of cranberry jelly and a bottle of seafood sauce to go along with the chili sauce, won't need red pepper flakes then. Always a staple for our Thanksgiving.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    For dessert go to allrecipes.com and make Banana Pudding 4 But double the wafers, double the bananas and add half more of the whipped cream.  I usually make a double batch of this in a large disposable pan and it is always gone.   It is very rich and tastes like the old banana pudding recipes in the 50's
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • YukonRon said:
    We will be doing crab claws and an SRF standing, bone in 11.5# Rib Roast.
    The sides will be onion soup with a Brulee gorgonzola topping, Blue Cheese Cole slaw, au gratin potatoes, and My Beautiful Wifes potato bread rolls.
    Desert will be home made White Russian ice cream, made by the children (19 and 24).
    If we survive that there will be wings, ABTs, pig shots, and ribs over the weekend.
    Oh yeah, there will be wine. Lots of wine. How bad could that be?
    Adopt me? 
  • Dobie
    edited November 2018
    I got nanner puddin covered but this is the recipie, and ironically my mom makes it  =)
    https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/not-yo-mamas-banana-pudding/
    Jacksonville FL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    ^^^^^^The best one I ever had^^^^^^^
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    We always cook a beef tenderloin and a turkey and our guests bring the sides.  So we never know exactly what we will get.  But there is always cornbread dressing and green beans of some sort plus a hodgepodge of other sides.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    GrillSgt said:
    Try substituting a can or two of cranberry jelly and a bottle of seafood sauce to go along with the chili sauce, won't need red pepper flakes then. Always a staple for our Thanksgiving.
    Thanks for the tip.. I’ve definitely used variables with this one over the years but never used seafood sauce (usually a different type of jelly).  Really any jelly like sweet base with some chili sauce variety will work.  Really a stupid simple appetizer that people love.  If I ever have leftovers I make meatball sliders with Hawaiian rolls and sometimes add fresh jalapeños and/or onions.    
  • Mashed potatoes & gravy
    Green Bean Casserole
    Broccoli Cheese Casserole
    Cranberry Sauce
    Stuffing
    Yeast Rolls
    Pies (Pumpkin, Apple, etc.)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...