Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked cheese not too good

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked some cheddar, swiss, and pepper jack today for one hour using a chunk of apple wood over 3 briquets. The temp never got over 84, but I'm guessing the choice of wood was wrong for cheese. It had a bitter taste and smell. The coals were burned to white ash before putting them in the cooker. Would removing 1/16" from the sides improve them, I'll have to experiment. -RP

Comments

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    AZRP, I had the same experience. Next time, I'll use chips instead of chunks and cherry instead of apple. This was the first time I have ever over-smoked anything with apple. I had a heavy smoke going for more than an hour. Get back on the horse, Scott

• AZRP
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno,
    Wish I hadn't tried it with $40 worth of cheese for the first try. -RP

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    AZRP, Ok, I feel better now. I bought Cracker Barrell on sale, 2 for 1. Also, I assume you can cut the outside off and enjoy the rest.
    Scott

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    AZRP,
    Could you maybe grate the cheese and freeze it in zip lock freezer bags and use it lightly in or on eggs, enchilada's, etc???? Just a thought.[p][p]Cheers,[p]Bordello

• Sandbagger
    Options
    AZRP, I am no expert but you might try a 2"x2"x? block of sharp cheddar with oak or pecan. Sample after 45 minutes and every 15 minutes thereafter until to your satisfaction. [p]Chubby and I smoked some mild cheddar for a good 2 hours. We made a store run in the middle of the smokin'. It is strong but nothing a little trimming can't fix...T

• Scotty's Inferno,
    smoked cheese is awesome!

• AZRP,
    Bitter isn't smoke flavor.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    AZRP,
    Foodsaver or ziplock the cheese for a couple of days and then taste check again. I think you will find the smoke flavor has mellowed.

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    AZRP,
    i had a similar experience but i think my problem was that i got brickets that were match lite type charcoal that lit very easily. i let them burn till i just had ash all the way around the coals but there is a very strong flavor of whatever excellorant they use to make the charcoal lite so quickly. also today the egg has a very strong odor of the same stuff. gotta get a good hot burn going tommorow and get rid of that crap.

• smokeydrew
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Maybe try hickory next time. I smoked some for T-Day, and my family loved it. Normally they buy smoked cheddar and smoked swiss from an amish cheese maker, and they said mine was better than what they normally get. I used 5 small kingsford briquets and hickory chips. I only smoked it for 45 minutes and it still had a fairly strong, but not overpowering smoke flavor.[p]--smokeydrew

• AZRP,[p]Not sure that apple wood was the problem. I made my first smoked cheese yesterday using apple chunks that I chopped into thin slices. Used the coffee can trick and four pieces of lump that I got pretty hot. Put the wood on and really let the smoke settle down along with the temperature. By the time I put the cheese (cheddar and gouda) on the temp had gotten down to about 100 and the smoke had gone from a thick white to a very tame light grey. Left the cheese on for about an hour and in my opinion and the family it turned out really well. Not a big smoked cheese fan myself but I would do this again.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    C-8-thesmoke2.jpg
    <p />AZRP:[p]You just smoked the cheese longer than your taste buds care for.[p]As previously suggested, have a test chunk for sampling to determine just how long to smoke your product. Also, I too have noticed a change in flavor of smoked cheese that has been FoodSaved and refrigerated for a period of time.
  • AZRP
    Options
    AZRP,
    I tried taking a thin slice off each side, and it just tasteded like cheese, no smoke. My daughter loves the cheese, I hate it. Wow, just like everything else in our lives. -RP

• beanandpotato
    Options
    smokeydrew,[p]NOT HICKORY way too strong. Try a lighter wood. I did hickory last week and less than an hour ruined a few lbs of cheese with acrid flavors.