Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini BGE: Hinge design fault?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I set up my mini tonight, I noticed that the dome didn't close all the way in front. It remained about 1/8" high.
Easy to fix, I thought. I loosened the band bolts (one is cross-threaded) and let the dome settle evenly on the base.. No gap.
After tightening the bolts, I fired it up. Later, I noticed a similar gap to the rear. Did the same again, even raising the hinge a bit to let the top settle fully into it's band, but when the bolts are tightened, the back end rises slightly.
One cause is that the rim under the band is tapered slightly, causing it to try and slip out from under the band on both ends.
The other, and main problem is that the Mini's hinge has NO play or flex. The band position has to be absolutely perfect, or the rear edge contacts first, holding the front open, or the rear edge is held high. One result of this is that the rear part of the gasket has been burnt a bit (no doubt helped by my forced air experiment). [p]Question: On the larger eggs, when closed, can you lift the rear edge of the dome slightly off the base? I suspect that the hinge on these models has some slop built in, so that the dome can sit flat on the gasket under it's own weight.[p]I'm thinking about fixing it by drilling the rivets out where the hinge brackets attach to the bands, then re-riveting them more loosely, so the cover can "float" relative to the hinge. If that's not enough, the same treatment can be applied to the hinge rivets themselves.[p]BTW: I set aside the cap and just laid a small sheet of stainless steel across the stack, which let me control the flow much more finely. I may just cut a circular piece, tether it with a short chain to the thermometer shank, and slide it around to regulate the outlet..

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Doug Warner, yup...they made a lot of those hinges too tight. sounds like you have part of the solution. I would suggest this, see if you can remove the band bolts. If you break a bolt try and replace it with another but add a washer. I noticed mine didn't have any. I broke both bolts and replaced them with new ones prior to discovering my dome was broken. My dome also was riding high in the back and settled down as it should. And as you indicate by tightening the band..things go wacko. So here is my suggestion, and I will do likewise when I get a replacement Mini. Use high temp..(600F or higher) silicon and run a bead around the band or dome at least on the back half prior to resetting the bands in place. Make sure the front rivet fits in the front recess in the dome. Then snug tighten the bands but not accessive. Wait 24 hours and then give the band bolts another half turn or so. See if the dome is still settled in place. If so..raise and lower the dome to see if all works well. A bit of WD-40 may help the back hinge. And the side locking hinge also.
    There should be no need for such a extreme tightening of those bolts to secure the dome to the bands. Especially on a Mini. Just my opinion of course.
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]""There should be no need for such a extreme tightening of those bolts to secure the dome to the bands. Especially
    on a Mini. Just my opinion of course.""[p]
    BUT, the air pressure regulator goes upto 200 psi on the air impact wrench they use to crank the bolts on with! Why use more than one setting ?? The same people must work for a local tire store where they strip the threads off wheel lugs for $5 a wheel - better hope you never get a flat and have to remove it yourself with the knuckle buster (aka car jack lug wrench). [p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, I had the same vision..I think your on the money.
    Rediculous. BTW..your doing a excellent job in your "fest" activities. Hope all goes top notch as I am sure it will.
    Cheers..C~W[p]