Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole ribeye - tomorrow night

Options
Gordy
Gordy Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The three musketeers will be reunited Friday night, all BGE owners, so it's gotta be good. I bought a big ribeye - 12 lbs. to cook for this very festive, blue light special at Kroeger, and beverage heavy occasion. Not to proud to get help from you pros. Planned on bringing the meat to room temperature, rubbing it with kosher salt and coursely ground pepper, like a prime rib. Planned on the usual steak procedure with 700 degrees - 3-4 minutes, flip same on the other side and then drop to 350 until almost medium rare in the middle, medium on the outside, maybe the ends medium well. Probably add a little mesquite, my personal favorite. Am I on the right track? Since I want the middle less than medium rare should I keep it refrigerated? Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Gordy,[p]I would like to know the results of your cook with what you call a big ribeye. I do whole beef loins on a brand x cooker but don't know if it is the same as you are going to cook. My meat comes in 13-24 pound pieces but is not called ribeye. I like to use a salt based rub with some sugar which will seal in all the great juices in this cut of meat if it is timed right. I don't sear the meat as my offset won't run at a high temp but I still get pretty good results and do this cook a few times a year. I would really like to know how a small piece would work on the Egg. I guess I don't understand your question about keeping the middle less than medium rare and the refrigeration so I can't comment on this phase. I can tell you that this meat needs to be cooked no longer than medium rare for the best results. If your guests don't like pink meat, cook them a hotdog! Please get back with me on how you do the meat in your Egg. [p]Old Dave

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Old Dave, yer boootiful..good post!
    Hey, if thats a full eye loin, why not cut it to 1.5 inch steak cuts and do em that away. Full loin is more space conservative, so its a alternative.
    C~W

• Grate Grills
    Options
    Gordy,
    Last Nov. I cooked whole Prime Grade Rib-eyes three nights in a row. {long story} anyway, these hunks of meat were about 10 to 12 Lbs. each. My first thought was to treat them like big steaks. Sear high heat and dwell or roast untill 125 in center. Pumped egg up to aprox. 600 seared one side aprox 5 min. then turned and closed down vents. Figured about 15 Min. to finish. Wrong! 45 min later I was turning the meat every five Min. to avoid turning the outer crust to charcoal and the internal temp was still 95. I ended up throwning some fire bricks on grate and finishing indirect. Next night I thought I'll cook'em like a pizza. Plenty tender and marbeled for high heat cook but the direct method did not work so well. Set up for high heat indirect cook. This worked OK but i missed that broiled, I don't know, Steak flavor. Third night, My last try at these magnificent and expensive hunks. I decided to go back to Direct heat. I cut roast in thirds. Cooked same as first night, aprox 600 5 min. and flip and close down vents. Dwell for 15 min. Internal was 125. Rest for 10 Min. and Carve. Perfect. I'm sure there is a good way to cook these roasts whole but if I were to try again I would cut in at least half. Good Luck. KB