Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hawaiian Loco Moco

So while we were in Hawaii a few weeks ago one thing we tried was some local food. One of the more interesting was something called Loco Moco and it was served just about everywhere. I like Loco Moco better than Spam musubi but both were good. 
I made my own version of Loco Moco tonight. It is basically white rice, an egged teriyaki burger and brown gravy topped with fried eggs. Gotta say, mine was very good. It may be that I put extra teriyaki sauce in the gravy. Anyway, not something I would make often, but it made for something fun and different to try.

Comments

• Same experience. I found the loco moco in Maui. So simple but so so good!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    We’ve had similar in HI several times. I’d crush that man. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Looks good. We were also in Hawaii a few weeks back, on Oahu, staying in Waikiki from the 6th to the 14th. Where were you at?

We did a lot of research while there about places that the locals frequent and ended up at some really neat joints. Saw the moco loco on many menus but never opted for it over other locals dishes. One of the most interesting (and cheapest!) meals we had was a burger with a side of saiman at this little hole in the wall off the beaten path. For us, these kind of discoveries are what make a trip.  
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Looks good. We were also in Hawaii a few weeks back, on Oahu, staying in Waikiki from the 6th to the 14th. Where were you at?

We did a lot of research while there about places that the locals frequent and ended up at some really neat joints. Saw the moco loco on many menus but never opted for it over other locals dishes. One of the most interesting (and cheapest!) meals we had was a burger with a side of saiman at this little hole in the wall off the beaten path. For us, these kind of discoveries are what make a trip.  
    We spent a week in Kauai. Beautiful place. Went to a local farmers market one day and tried several really good things, but the best was fresh out of the field pineapple. Extra sweet, juicy and a totally different texture than what we get here, probably because it is allowed to fully ripen before picking.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I’ve been looking at this since yesterday, and it makes me want to be hungover. Just so I can shovel that in my pie-hole and let it work it’s magic. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Those eggs look perf!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    caliking said:
    I’ve been looking at this since yesterday, and it makes me want to be hungover. Just so I can shovel that in my pie-hole and let it work it’s magic. 
    Sounds like a challenge?
    Greensboro, NC
  • ;) said:
    Isn’t there some bourbon slushie around that you can chug?  ;)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    ;) said:
    Isn’t there some bourbon slushie around that you can chug?  ;)
    Sadly, there isn’t. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Epcot-we are getting ready for our annual migration to Kauai- where did u get that culinary delight while there? 
    Can I use your name when I order?
    all the best!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • epcotisbest
    edited October 2018
    tml1230 said:
    Epcot-we are getting ready for our annual migration to Kauai- where did u get that culinary delight while there? 
    all the best!
    Kalapaki Beach Hut in Lihue and, don't laugh, the gas station in Princeville. We were skeptical but after three recommendations we went ahead and tried a couple of box lunches from the general store/gas station in Princeville and both were excellent. My wife enjoyed the chicken katsu, and I liked the Loco Moco.
    Also, the shave ice at Hee Fat in Kapaa was amazing. One more recommendation, Chicken in a Barrel, Kapaa or Hanalei Bay as we tried both locations for some decent que.

• epcotisbest
    Chicken katsu plate lunch from the gas station in Princeville.

• epcotisbest
    tml1230 said:
    all the best!
    One more suggestion and I will shut up. Da Crack in Poipu has the best burritos I have ever had. This is only half. My wife talked me out of the other half.

• tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    You have my wife and I laughing! Mahalo!
    We stay in princeville-- the best and most delicious breakfast deal of all time is at the gas station...
    we plan on taking your advice on every suggestion. I will report back!

Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • epcotisbest
    edited October 2018
    tml1230 said:
    You have my wife and I laughing! Mahalo!
    We stay in princeville-- the best and most delicious breakfast deal of all time is at the gas station...
    we plan on taking your advice on every suggestion. I will report back!

Hope you have a fun, safe trip.

How bout them DAWGS!