Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disappointed in yesterday's Turkey

Green_Giant
Green_Giant Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BPZBD-IMG_1722.jpg
<p />My first effort at smoked turkey was not as successful as I would have liked. It's nobody's fault my my own! I had other cooking and kid duties, so I did not monitor the bird as closely as I should have. [p]The dark meat was really good, to my taste. But the breast was dry, and I think a bit tastless. All of this despite 24+ hrs of brining, and a rub of bacon, onion, garlic, and spices under the skin. [p]I think the temp got higher than I wanted for a while (300 vs. 250). Also, I should have trusted the thermometer. It was done faster than I expected, and stupidly I left it on for an extra 30 mins. Also, I foiled it after taking it off the egg. I think I should have let it cool, then foiled, and served at room temp. [p]Lastly, I used a combination of hickory and sugar maple wood for smoke. Any other suggestions? I suspect the hickory was a bit much for delicate turkey.....THANKS - Dickson

Comments

• I should add that while it was not perfect, the white meat will be suitable for some sandwiches over the next 2 days. I am going to pick the bird this morning of all other meat in preparations for one of my favorite Louisiana post-Thanksgiving day traditions: turkey and andouille sausage gumbo ! :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Green_Giant,[p] You should have iced down the breast before cooking it.. I can't comment on that little trick that Max found and passed on to the world enough.
  • Green_Giant,
    now that sounds good![p]next time try the mad max turkey recipe and if you want smoke, add a couple of handfuls of cherry or apple chips.

• Green_Giant,
    i think your main problem was that you had the breasts up higher in the dome with your set up, so they were guaranteed to be done before the thighs. . .and if your thighs were perfectly done, then probably your breasts were way over done, resulting in the dry white meat you experienced. . .this was gonna happen regardless if you stayed at 270 degrees or at 350 degrees. .. ..next time you use this setup, make sure you use the icebags on the breasts trick before putting the turkey on the egg. .. i'd probably go a full half hour with the ice to insure proper doneness ....[p]HTH. . .still looks good btw. ...

• 23nov06_1-005.jpg
    <p />always ice the breasts

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p] Just don't forget to seal the ice bag..
  • Thanks Guys and Gals. BTW, the "evian ice bra" made me laugh & snorts some coffee through my nose. SWMBO now thinks I am crazier than normal! :)[p]Plans for Round II: Ice the breasts for at least 30 mins, use a V rack to keep the breasts lower in the egg, and watch the egg's temp more closely. [p]Question: would smoking the turkey breasts down (that much lower in the egg) help as well? THANKS - Dickson
  • Green_Giant,
    if you do the other things (ice the breasts and go horizontal) you don't need to worry about going breast side down as well ....thats just a pain in the butt, having to rotate the bird after it starts cooking (paricularly a big bird) ...

• 05nov06_all.jpg
    <p />Green_Giant,
    you also might want to try smoking just a breast... i did this one with cherry chips...

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Green_Giant,
    I don't know if you used one, but a remote thermometer has been a big help to me. I like a breast temperature of 180 degrees. Cooked at 350 degrees.[p]Just a thought.[p]Kyle[p]