Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yikes - Grease Fire in the Egg on Turkey Day !!

Options
Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My turkey breasts were hummin along about 2 hours into the cook when I decided to crisp the skin by boosting the temperature ... ooooh boy was that a mistake....[p]I cook about 10 pork butts a month so my large egg is really well seasoned .. err greasy...anyway when I boosted the temp to 400 to crisp the skin I caught all that old fat and soot and whatnot on fire without even knowing it ... temperature rocketed to 600+ with thick smoked pouring out. I was into my 4th, 5th or 6th glass of wine so I didn't notice right away till someone mentioned that the egg was smokin quite a bit. I ran outside and strapped on the welders gloves and dove in to save my turkey dinner ... got them out with minimal damage and some loss of arm hair. It was quite a fire ... especially when I opened up the lid to get out the breasts. YIKES ... Even with the vents closed and lid on she was beltching smoke for about 15 minutes. It was a fire that didn;t want to go out for sure.[p]The turkey breasts turned out great but things could have gone up in smoke quite easily. [p]Fellow eggers beware. You might want to run that low and slow egg at a high temperature every once in a while to to burn out the crap.[p]I guess I need to cook steaks on that bad boy instead of the small and mediums all the time. THe large egg was being left out and she sure let me know.[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    just like a self cleaning oven. . .every now and then, put in a good load of lump, run the temps to around 500 degrees (the gaskets won't burn this way, but the grease and crud will), stick you plate setter in there (might as clean it too), and just let it run for a few hours till the lump burns out on its own. . .you'll have a nice clean egg for sure. ..

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    heya mad max beyond eggdome,[p]yup, i occasionally do that myself! works well...keeps Bertha pretty clean :D

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    Glad to hear they came out allright, I would have thought all that burning fat smoke would have given an off taste. You must have gotten them off in time. Good job! -RP

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Funny thing was I was in the other room looking up your number when it happended ... you didn't get called cause I was on Fire patrol.[p]

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    AZRP,
    Alas you are correct ... the skin was not salvageable. I love a crispy skin but that was way gone ... However it gave all to save the moist and tender turkey. :)

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Often at the end of a pulled pork cook I just open up the vents and let er go with whatever remaining lump there is. It often has drippings on it so you might not want those flavors so I use the remainders to clean the Egg and get use out of them.